1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork cap dis assembly

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gixx/2broscarb, Oct 1, 2011.

1. I am installing a set of GP suspensions fork cap extenders on my 06 gsxr 750 race bike and I some how in all my wisdom broke the bottom end off the preload adjuster bolt that the rebound adjuster rod goes through. Turns out there is a little metal ring around the bottom of the bolt, thats what makes the preload adjuster stop at a certain point when you crank it all the way out on the top of the fork cap. Now Im on the hunt for a new one, does anyone know where I can find these? Because now the damper rod wont thread back up through the bolt.

2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Might be cheapest to buy a bent fork off eBay and yank the parts you need.

3. thats what its looking like I might have to do

4. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

New fork cap assy from the dealer?

5. KILLA1

KILLA1 Orange Suzuki = MY HERO

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Out of curiosity how much are fork extenders and how far do racers typically drop the forks? Same T/M/S bike.

7. atombomb

atombomb Active Member

im a bit curious as well...any feedback after install is appreciated.

8. I talked to a known suspension guy and he has what Im looking for. As for the cap extenders, general rule is to start 5mm higher and see where your at. But here is the deal, if you are raising the bike then you are sacrificing agility (side to side transition) meaning the bike is going to feel heavier and wont be as flick able. The benefits of raising it is way more stability in corners, thus translating to the ability to carry more corner speed into and through a corner.

If you are on a long flowing, high speed track with little or no tight technical sections then raising it would most likely benefit you. If you are on a very technical track where you need to be moving around on the bike an throwing it around then raising it would not be the best idea for that particular track.

9. what kind of bike are you running?

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Are you sure about this? From what I've read and been told by suspension guys, is the opposite of this. If you dropped the forks down in the clamps and raise the bike, it is easier to flick side to side. By raising the front and rear of the bike it flicks back and forth easier.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I would agree with this. I'm in the process of trying to sort out my 06 600 which is NOT sufficiently raised yet. On NJMP Lightning which is a much more high speed flowing course the bike felt generally fine. On the tighter more technical Thunderbolt it was a chore trying to get around and the bike would not finish a corner for the life of me. Would drift wide as soon as I got back on the gas.

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Raising both ends will cause the bike to transition more easily, correct. He might have been talking about raising only the front, in which case it'd steer more slowly.