1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford recalls 1.1M pickup for gas tank problem

Discussion in 'General' started by panthercity, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I washed it as much as practical but with the amount of salt dumped on the roads up here if you drive it in the winter it's gonna rust. You may slow it down slightly if your anal about it but you aren't going to stop it. When a dark green truck is completely white the salt has gotten in every nook and cranny possible.

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I wish I had taken a picture after I drove to my parent's house and back last winter (about 200 miles only). I have a maroon truck and that thing was as white as Papa's ass. I cringed looking at it for a couple of days but when it's -10 outside not even the gas station car washes are open and you can't really wash it anywhere without the air dryer because the doors will freeze shut no matter how long you stand out there and freeze your ass off drying it.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Garage :D

Hell, I got our van washed every few days at a handwash place in a garage in Chicago one year we were up there. 0 or so for like 10 days. Just gotta do some due diligence on the door jambs and locks so they don't freeze you out but it's not horribly difficult. Yes it's a pain in the ass. But it's no harder than an oil change and even once every couple few weeks will help.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WD sprayed in the jambs and locks pre/post wash helps. Not 100% but usually at least one door stays functional :D

5. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

The way to wash a car in the winter is to hook a hose to the house water heater.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If I was Ford I'd agree to give 1.1 million owners a dollar in quarters and directions to a carwash.

7. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

Chicago? That isn't very cold. Windy? Yes.

Duluth isn't cold like the interior of Alaska, but it's cold enough for the car washes to be closed for most of the winter.

8. Putter

Yep. Also if I dont WD the window seals they stick too.

9. Putter

Why don't you do something really gay like post a video of your dogs walking on a treadmill or something? Oh wait....

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I'm in Wisconsin so I'm very familiar with having a salt covered vehicle all damn winter.

I have actually heard people say that you should not wash your car during the winter, because if the salt is dried on the car it's not attacking the metal... it's when it gets wet that it's bad. :rolleyes:

I just shake my head and continue to wash it. There's no chance they're on to something, are they?

11. Putter

I know a guy who hits the door jambs with WD40 and then hoses his truck down with water so it gets a thin sheet of ice on it. He says it protects the paint "like a good wax job".

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I got a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff they use here in VA and that shit eats concrete like a fat kid eats suzy-qs. Nasty shit that I won't use and can't get rid of now.

13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Its true...its the slush u gotta worry about...

if it dries it can no longer conduct electricity (what causes rust, the difference in metals)

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Better.

That said, y'all are pussies. Washin' is wimmins werk, and I don't know about you, but I can't get my woman to don the bikini and rub a bucket of suds on the truck when the thermometer hits...well, anything actually. :down:

But yes, the road chems are a real bitch up here in the rust belt. I did a full front end rebuild of the truck this fall before the snow flew, then had a wheel bearing go out about two months ago, and if not for the half gallon of anti-seize I put on everything when I put it back together, I *know* that bearing would have been rusted in place. The new brake rotors I put on were flaking off huge chunks of rusted crap. :down:

Oh, and for the record, I'm meticulous about my truck maintenance. When it's broke, I wait about 6 months then eventually get around to fixing it. :D

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I said below zero on purpose. That week plus (I think it was 9 days) it was at or below zero.

FWIW - I do understand what you mean about not being able to wash for a while. But I'd be very willing to bet the ones with gas tanks falling out are the types you see in late August with salt stains still on their trucks...

16. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

My guess/hope is that the municipalities are going to ruin the DOT roads with this crap and some regulation will take shape. In this case I think they've arrived at too much of a good thing and are causing unintended damage. But there is no standard for this stuff right now and I don't know how pervasive it is. I've seen bodies turned to swiss cheese as far south as West Virginia. Where I live they salt so far before snow that unless you're drafting the salt truck (read: Lever) I doubt you're getting much of it.

17. Venom51

It wasn't even Thursday. That's my official gay day. :D

18. Putter

Well, you can get all silly tomorrow then. :D

19. Venom51

I am still trying to figure out why it's Ford's problem that gas tanks are dropping out of 8 to 10 year old trucks in the great white north. If it was 2010 and had 10,000 miles on it and the gas tank dropped out due to rusted straps ok..I can see that. But 8 year old trucks. Really. When does their liability for the reliability of the truck end?

20. Putter

I dunno. Someone probably sued. Maybe they sit lower than other ones or something.