1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford EcoBoost 2.0L ?

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Nov 17, 2022.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Hey beeb bros, looking for some real world experiences on this engine. Picked up a 2017 Lincoln MKC a few months back for a great price and in great shape, only about 35K miles on it.

Car drives great, but since picking it up I've been reading all sorts of articles and comments on sites about the block developing cracks between the cylinders and leaking coolant into them. I know that often times the real world prevalence about how often these issues happen can be exaggerated, but it sounds like it's caused by an actual design flaw. Some people were saying they have one's running up over 150K miles trouble-free, others saying they started having issues at like 40-50K miles. Apparently when/if it happens the fix is to replace the damn block.

https://www.classaction.org/news/ne...ect-linked-to-coolant-leaks-class-action-says

2. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Get rid of it asap.

Mine and two other people that I know have had issues. All 2017 2.0 ecoboost engines. Definitely not an exaggeration.

3. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

We are on our 3rd motor in my wife's Escape and it only has 27k on the clock.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow that sucks to hear. Hopefully they have been covered under warranty? I’ve read @turner38 doesn't like the eco boost, and I think he hates Fords in general. I didn’t realize they were that crappy?

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

6. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

^— +1 … came in to post what Freddie just posted.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah, I actually watched that video last night.

Well...this certainly hasn't made me feel too much better, lol. On the bright side, I bought the car through Carvana and they offer (through a 3rd party) additional warranty which I took that covers the powertrain for another 2 1/2 years at this point, so I guess we'll see what happens between now and then.

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

My MIL has an Escape that is at the dealer right now to get the engine changed. Not exactly sure which engine it has but she said there were 3 other Escapes there for the same thing.

9. njracer

It's a lease so I really don't care. We have been getting a loaner car everytime It's gone in so it's not a big deal. Wanted to buy out the lease and give this car to my oldest when he can drive in a bit over a year. However, since they can't seem to get it right, there is no way I would buy this unless I get a lifetime warranty on the motor.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

"hey BBS, I married a Puerto Rican girl a couple weeks ago in Vegas...she's much younger and hotter than me and now I'm hearing that sometimes they cut you; should I be worried???"

YamahaRick likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Are you channeling @Captain Morgan ?

Phl218 and ungwaha like this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

For those of you that had to get it repaired.....does just Ford just replace the block like for like, i.e. another defective block or do they used the updated design the 2020 and later models use that doesn't have that channel carved in that causes the issue to begin with?

[​IMG]

13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Looks like they went for the cheap on the new design. The fix would be grooves/hoops. Those are what helps high boosted engines to get past head gasket issues.

https://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/sealing-cylinder-heads-with-wire-not-just-gaskets/

14. njracer

That's a good question and something I'll ask our dealership.

However, since this is motor 3 in 27k miles, I'm guessing they are using the old design.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Cool, would be interested to know. So 27K in total and already on a 3rd engine, am I reading that correct....~10K miles per engine before poof?

16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

At this point shouldn't the lemon law kick in?

17. njracer

I guess I worded it a bit wrong. Original motor went at 12K, 2nd one at 27K and now we are on #3.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Ahh....still, not much better I guess. I found another video on this where some guy was postulating that EcoBoost engines built in their Valencia facility seemed to be less prone to failure than ones built in the Cleveland facility. Not sure if it holds any water, I had a look at mine and it has the sticker on the valve cover indicating it was built in Valencia (VEP).

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ou-have-a-val-spain-or-cleveland-engine.6988/

19. Benmont

Benmont Well-Known Member

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Heh. Head gasket. Hold water. Good one. ;)