1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First race weekend... need plates?

Discussion in 'General' started by Crash1k, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Crash1k

Crash1k Well-Known Member

This is my first race weekend.. I'm doing the new racer school on saturday and will race on sunday. As of right now, I have the bike ready to go, but just running the primered bodywork as it comes from Attack.

I don't know what number I'm gonna have or anything..

Do I need to worry about any of this..? What about the yellow background thing for the Novice racers?

2. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

You will need plates, a number will be assigned to you (or you can request one) when you sign up. If you don't want to paint plates before this weekend then just lay down some yellow duct tape for your background and use some electrical tape or something to make the numbers. That will get you through your first weekend until you can do a better job.

3. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Send a PM to Redbull72 on here...he can hook you up with stick-on plates...you cna buy numbers at ethe track from Stickboy (Bridgestone guy) once they tell you what your number is. There might be other vendors at the track too, but these are the ones I know (and know to be cool cats).

Have fun!

4. Crash1k

Do I have to run a number on both sides in the back? I've got an '07 gsxr 1000 and these tails are getting thinner and thinner... I've seen one big number across the whole top of the tail facing the rear.. is that acceptable now?

5. Crash1k

I'm in California doinmg the Wera west event... not sure that's gonna work Dave..

Any idea where I can find a stick on one out this way?

6. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Not in WERA. Check the rulebook for requirements for sprint bikes. Also, front number plate must be centered - no offset numbers up front.

7. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

When I did this I just used some yellow duct tape to make some temporary novice plates on my bike and bought some vinyl stick-on #'s from a trackside vendor Saturday morning when I found out for sure what number I'd be running that weekend (turned out to be the number I got assigned). I had brought some black electrical tape just in case I needed to fabricate some numbers.

Didn't look bad at all from a distance:
    [​IMG]

Once the weekend is over, pull the duct tape off and get it painted.

8. Crash1k

anyone got some pictures of their newer gsxr's and how they did their numbers on those thin tail sections...

9. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

just dont run 666. it's the devil i tell ya, the devil

10. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Bwa ha ha ha ha!

11. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

kids got stones running 666...carried in a wheelbarrow:D

12. nebulate

nebulate Well-Known Member

as far as the single number in the rear. i know rule book says it's a no no but at cycle jam i saw quite a few new bikes running it on the rear. anyone care to add to this? because if it is so illegal i know during one of the sprint races i counted at least three on the expert grid in an anonymous race on saturday and maybe 1 or 2 novices...

13. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i saw a conversation on here just the other day, where mongo implied they were ok.

14. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

OK for endurance bikes maybe, but not sprint bikes.

If you can't fit the numbers on the tail, attach a correctly sized number plate.

15. Skittlepitcrew

Skittlepitcrew Well-Known Member

Thats a good way to get the girls that are manually scoring to yell at you!

For the first weekend, pick a number and run it. You wont be assigned your number until they process your membership back at the main office.

16. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

ahhh. oops. sorry.

listen to tom (yamrz350), he'll know better than i would

17. Crash1k

Pick a number and run it huh..? You sure about that?

Thanks for all the help everyone. New to the scene, you've all been great!

18. nebulate

so even bikes that were "sprint" bikes running the single number in the rear is a no no? I understand the endurance bikes, but saturday and sunday there were bikes running single rear plates. I am just looking for an explanation as to why they were running them or why certain people i am assuming are overlooked for that particular rule.

ANYONE?? Mongo??

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The bikes running a single rear plate were illegal. There were a number of fines handed out, I wasn't there nor have I bothered going through the paperwork to find out if any were for plate violations. Either way, if it wasn't your bike then it's really none of your business. It is illegal and you will be penalized for running a single rear plate.

20. nebulate

ok, thats all i was wondering, gracias