1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finding a torque wrench for low inch pounds?

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, Mar 5, 2012.

1. tito

tito Well-Known Member

so there have been a time or two where I wanted to torque down some bolts to factory specs and the specs are low inch lbs, ie...17 (Valve cover on my car), or 9 (some bolt on my bike).
    but every torque wrench I have seen start off at 20, either ft-lbs or inch lbs. How do you figure out the correct spec?

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

3. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Multiply or divide by 12.

If you're looking for a torque wrench let me know. I'll look up the one that you need and get you a price. Snap-on.

4. BHP41

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Craftsman makes one also

6. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

I just picked up a few CDI Torque wrenches - Snap-On's industrial line. Cheaper then snap-on but have not used it yet so unsure of quality (they got to be pretty decent though)

7. tito

tito Well-Known Member

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

9. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

shakes head...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I believe the 17 and 9 are ft/lbs, not in/lbs.
    Here is the wrench I prefer for the lower amounts.

[​IMG]

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Just getting a red x.

12. y3v

y3v ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I too am looking for a decent one.. You guys recommend click or bar?

13. tito

tito Well-Known Member

no it is inch pounds.....

14. BHP41

Depends on what you're doing. If it's rear ends or on anything that spins at a certain torque you need a dial. Click types will not give you a true torque reading. On anything else a good click type will do.

You can get by with cheap ratchets but something that requires precision torque I would get something of quality. Plus, with Snap-on it's $65 to get it calibrated any time.

15. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

For lower torques a bar is better. We do some lower torque installations at work with a click type, and it is very easy to not feel the click and go right past it, particularly with softer gaskets.

16. y3v

y3v ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wouldn't trust myself with anything precision.. hahaha

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

What bolt uses 9 in/lbs, which is less than .75 ft/lb or 17 in/lbs which is 1.4 ft/lbs? Some plastic screw??

18. Badmeat

Badmeat Well-Known Member

The assembly bolts on a doll house

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Hell, you could break a bolt that needs 9 inch/pounds with a short wrench and just your hand. That is crazy low.

20. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

The common tq for a 6mm bolt is 7-9 ft/lbs and a 8mm bolt or stud 17-19 ft/lbs