Finally - Nitro on the "dyno"

Discussion in 'General' started by Repo Man, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

NHRA nitro cars are well, totally badass. Everybody knows that...

But up until now, there has not been a way to accurately measure their HP, as they would shred any known machine trying to harness them. There were plenty of guesses, from math on weight / acceleration, etc...

These folks developed a magnetic coupling that can read all that nitro goodness, and they put it on the Don Schumacher US Army Top Fuel car, and the numbers are *staggering*.....

Enjoy!! :eek:

http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...ive-power-number-have-the-guesses-been-right/

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's crazy shit right there but it confirms that math done correctly is usually pretty spot on.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

10,000 HP. I'd like to see the numbers of these multi engine diesel tractor pull monsters as well. The torque would be off the charts. 10,000 horsepower isn't even a number anymore. Have to compare it to a fighter jet or a cruise ship lol.

4. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Insane... no doubt about it.

I always tell people, top fuel cars are an experience everyone should have. Even if you aren't into racing, it's unreal experiencing it in person.

TLR67 likes this.
  5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

a lot of work going into torque sensing. HRC's torductor, now this. awesome.

6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Thats over 1200hp per 1.0L of engine.

7. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

1,325 HP / Liter, or 22HP per cubic inch, or 1250HP per cylinder.... Serious business!

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Bad ass....