1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting global warming!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pickled egg, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Just remember this girl, if you come back as a june bug you'll have to endure a length of time as an ugly white grub with a red head living in the dirt eating grass roots.
    You did however, nail it with your post. :clap:

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

As man continues to pursue God, in all his splendor, it still comes down to some basics. As I've said before, I believe that everyone is by default, Agnostic. People can have faith that God exists but it's basically an opinion and not fact. The same can be said for people that do not believe. It's opinion and not fact. We simply do not know. As children we are taught that there is a God but as we age we start to question those teachings. Reason, logic, and science, are all things that are put in front of us as somewhat opposition to a God.

Science is a great set of teachings that help us advance ourselves but there is one thing that, at least for me, fails to completely discount the existence of God. Look around us. Look to the sky. How can such an immense universe come from nothing? I cannot understand how that could happen. It had to have a beginning other than some "singularity" and then a "big bang." Where did the singularity come from?

I will admit that I give great props to those of you that have that magic "faith" that settles your mind. Carry on.

G 97, badmoon692008 and gixxerreese like this.
  3. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

That’s the point of life: spend some time as a grub, living in the dirt, then develop into something spectacular.

Those that don’t develop are usually eaten by birds or die miserable and alone.

We all have a choice (with some debate here - either religious or scientific).

With the loss of God - brain science has turned into a fascination for me. How we think, why we have emotions, what drives desicions...fucked up part is, most of it boils down to survival, self-gratification, and reproduction. That’s it. We don’t even know why we are choosing the paths we are some times. That’s a huge case for God and the lack of free will - but it is also a major case for science and the cause of our sentience being us merely “living in the past” because our brains process information faster than we are aware of it.

Fucking fascinating stuff. I love science.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. CausticYarn

If you have the chance, read this book. I have listened to it several times. It’s just cool.

04EA33D2-F835-4C06-A8CA-AA75969C3103.jpeg

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Now you have me questioning your decisions on an afterlife. Come back as a June bug? What's with that. Dream bigger woman. Try coming back as a butterfly. It fits your present looks better. :)

6. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

predicting IS an educated guess... Just because you think it means something different doesn't change that. I did tell what was going to happen, I was just wrong...

7. badmoon692008

For me, I would say predicting never really becomes knowing... Everything we interact with in life has some sort of randomness built in, no matter how sure we are of it.

I would say that it would be impossible for two twins to interact with exactly the same atoms regardless of how controlled the environment is.

That being said, I'm not sure... If the theory that our actions are determined solely by rules being followed by the cells in our body, then yes, if you could theoretically make two genetically identical humans and they only reacted to the same atoms and stimuli through their whole life I don't know how they wouldn't end up the same... Admittedly there is some variability in our replication process, but in theory those variabilities are contingent on different hormones, substances, etc being present to trigger or suppress them. So my response would be a solid definitely maybe... :crackup:but it would be impossible to prove either way.

That's a good scenario to challenge the idea, but you could still make the argument that the cells in our bodies were following set rules to bring us to that eventuality.. Isn't a very satisfying response but could still be argued that way nonetheless.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do the words that you type appear on your screen? You can't possibly have written this knowingly!

tiggen likes this.
  9. badmoon692008

Have you not been reading anything I'm writing? I'll try to summarize:
    1. A prediction is a guess based on information, I can predict anything, whether it's correct or not has no bearing on whether it was a prediction or not, only a bearing on if my prediction was correct or incorrect.
    2. I can Foretell anything... foretelling is just telling you that something is going to happen, it can also be incorrect... I can foretell that the browns are going to win the superbowl, (man I'm having deja vu) that doesn't mean it's going to happen.
    3. All we can have in life is a best guess, based on the information we have... you can call it a prediction, foretelling, or a weather forecast... they can be right or wrong, but they still are those things... none of them require correctness, only the belief that a thing will happen based on evidence...
    4. I don't think there's anything pedantic about the very obvious distinction between knowing something and accurately predicting something.
    5. At this point this has nothing to do with the discussion we're actually having and we're even further off on a tangent than we already were.
    6. Maybe I would concede that my statement was a little ambigous,I should have said I didn't *accurately* tell what was going to happen... I still "foretold" that something was going to happen which, based on the evidence I had I thought was going to happen. You're welcome to add additional meaning to these words, but I have yet to find a definition that requires accuracy or says anything other than what you *think* will happen in the future or saying what will happen in the future for either of them

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I love how you buried the only relevant answer to my post in #6 to try to distract from the absurdity of the statement I quoted. But I saw what you did. :D

The rest of that stuff, repeating it is not going to make you more right than you were before. You started down the pedantic road. You have your opinion, I disagree. That is all.

11. CausticYarn

Eh. Butterflies are overrated. :D

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Butterflies are soothing to watch. Don't discount the value in that.

13. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Global warming-->religion-->semantics-->?

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, have you ever encountered a june bug while riding a bike at 70mph? If so you'll know that everybody loves butterflies. June bugs, on the other hand,,,,,,
    You do want to be loved, don'cha? :D

15. CausticYarn

Duh - That's why I said kamikaze riders who aren't wearing helmets!

16. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

Speaking of June bugs ...

Throw on the trusty Arai, saddled up and headed south into Houston back when I worked in that war zone. Just about the time I arrived at five lanes wide of mayhem I felt something clawing at my scalp. It started slowly at first and then built into a crescendo of feverous action. It took all of my Jedi skills to stay calm, exit the freeway and find a safe place to stop. Got the helmet off in record time, upon inspection I discovered a June bug had burrowed into a top vent and was now desperately attempting to get back to the outside world. For a few moments that June bug felt much, much larger than actual size.

related PSA: don’t store your helmet in the garage if you live down south.

17. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Global warming-->religion-->semantics-->June bugs

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Just for your information, and a higher level of fear, do not keep your helmet in the garage because brown recluse spiders love to live there. Those helmets are sooooo cozy. :eek:

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Back to the subject at hand.

Here's how "global climate change awareness" is leading to rewarding careers for disadvantaged yoots.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Just like the polluting power plant that charges the batteries made with child labor, out of sight, out of mind.