1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FBI visits a friend of mine.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Jim McDowell, Mar 6, 2006.

1. tcasby

tcasby Banned

So, given there is (I understand) a mandatory 5 years for each burning, should the prosecution go for the full 40 years, or just charge them for one of the burnings?

2. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

What is hate-crime legislation about? Here's the FBI's definition of a hate crime:

"a criminal offense committed against a person, property or society which is motivated, in whole or in part, by the offender's bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity/national origin."

Seems kind of cut and dry to me. If these outstanding members of society are guilty of burning theses churches, they should also be charged with hate crimes. The fact that every church they set fire to was Baptist tells me they targeted that specific denomination. It's easy enough to do a Google search of churches in the B'ham area to know there are many other churches besides Baptist. This just doesn't sound like a matter of convenience.

3. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

But IF they targeted "churches that were handy to where we were drinking" is that a hate crime? No. If they did specifically have something against Baptists it will come out in the trial.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Jay - targeting churches doesn't necessarily mean they did it because of the religion of the churches. As always - aren't you supposed to be a bit more forgiving of such things and understand that God has a purpose for these fires?

5. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

You've got to be kidding me. What possible other reasons could they have for targeting only one denomination? Did they just hate a particular kind of construction or landscaping? :D

Hey, I forgive them. But as long as there is hate crime legislation, I want it to be used not only when it pertains to crimes against Muslims, Buddhists, etc.; it should also apply when the crimes are directed against Christians.

God will use these fires for his own glory. That, I am sure of. But I don't doubt for a second that Satan was fanning the flames. (pun intended)

6. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

I agree with the Church Lady's stunt double, except for the God and Satan part. :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Jay - have you not noticed the proliferation of Baptist churchs in the rural South? I agree they were targeting churches but to assume the hate Baptists ia a bit much at this stage of the game. You'd be hard pressed to go burn a Catholic church in rural Alabama.

You're jumping to a conclusion that has no basis in reality solely because you're of the religion that happened to have something bad happen to it. The same kind of jumping to conclusions that allows the nutcase sects of any religion to be able to recruit the suicide bomber zealots. It's like saying that just because a guy in Iran was killed it was because he was a Muslim - well no shit most people there are, just as most in the US are Christians.

If there was even one report from the investiagtors that these guys hated Baptists then I'd totally agree with you. But unless it's proven it's sill to do so sorry. Targetting churches isn't a hate crime in and of itself. I'd guess that they were very easy targets - no one there most of the week, usually slightly isolated, usually older and full of wood. Arsonists wet dream.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry Counselor but you'll need more proof than coincidence. The odds were in the favor of only Baptist churches being hit.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In all of the northern 60% or so of Alabama there are 46 Catholic churches.

One website I found lists 495 Baptist churches within 50 miles of Birmingham.

10. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Agreed, but I might rely on the circumstantial evidence that they burned only churches and that all those churches were Baptist.

But it would be interesting to see the distribution of all denominations within the geographical area of the arsons. . . but only if I was defending them. :D

11. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Bullsh@t! WERA races Barber, so I expect you've been to Birmingham. Hardly what I'd consider the rural south. Do a search on Yahoo for churches in Birmingham. My brief search indicated 1999 in Alabama. The largest metro area in AL is Birmingham, where I expect you'll find the largest concentration of churches. There are literally hundreds of churches of denominations other than Baptist. Baptist churches seemed targeted, all right. And I don't point this out because I am a member of a large Baptist church. It is because I am a Christian. If the burned churches were instead Islamic Mosques, there would be a media outcry of hate crime! Now why is that?

Go back and look at what the FBI considers a hate crime and you'll see they clearly disagree with you. The press isn't giving these "kids" very much credit, and their lawyers are saying it was "just a joke that got out of hand". That's because he knows these guys are looking at some pretty serious consequences if the hate crime can be proved. At this point it doesn't look like much of a joke to the rest of the country. I was a pretty wild youth, but at 19-20 years of age, I pretty much knew that burning down churches was a gigantic no-no. These clowns knew what they were doing. 9 Baptist (only) churches is not a matter of coincidence or convenience. I think the truth will come out before long.

12. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Here ya go lawyerboy, it's a start for ya. All you have to do is fill in the other churches. :D

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

How many Mosques did you find in the area?

Unlike the Christian Church...

14. Robert

Because Muslims aren't part of the majority in that area and as such are a far more common target for hate crimes? Just guessing mind you..

Btw when I read of a Christian church getting burnt to the ground in India I pretty much assume it's a hate crime until I hear otherwise. But that's because only 3% there are Christians. What percentage in Alabama are Baptist?

15. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I didn't look, but the question is irrellevent. Obviously these mental giants didn't have a hard-on for Muslims. I maintain that if only ONE mosque had been burned, there would be a huge media outcry of hate crime.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

That short-term memory loss thing is tragic...

17. Knarf Legna

There are 3 in the Tuscaloosa area. That's about the same number as all churches other than Baptist and Methodist.

18. Knarf Legna

Quick lookup indicates that 53% of the places of worship near Tuscaloosa are Baptist. Just about a 50-50 chance that picking a church at random would be Baptist. I thought it would have been greater.

19. Robert

This is turning into a case of reverse-victimization? :D

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Jay - The Northern 60% of Alabama includes Birmingham for the Catholic church count. The same site had less than 200 Methodist Churches, and less than 200 of all the other faiths combined. That puts just within 50 miles of Birmingham the percentage well over 50% Baptist. Odds are good you pick a church it'll be Baptist. How much you want to bet on the percentage being higher the further away from the city you go?

Anyway I can see as usual people can't actually look at facts and are arguing based on emotion so I'm out.