1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f3 suspension questions

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kan3, Sep 13, 2008.

1. kan3

kan3 Well-Known Member

Just picked up a 97 f3 for the track next year and have a couple of suspension questions.

Anyone have suggestions on what needs to be replaced in the forks? I'm going to be re-building them in the winter but I'm still on a budget. Obviously seals and springs but do both comp/rebound valves need to be switched out?

What are the common aftermarket shocks to find used for this bike? I'll looking to pickup a used one and have it re-built for me but need to know what ones to look for.

Finally, what are people running for the shock/fork heights?

Thanks

2. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

i would leave the front alone (minus the seals if they're leaking of course) until you ride it on the track and see if you like it or want improvement in particular areas.
    i'd also send them off to CTR or Thermosman if you do decide to have bits replaced.
    as for the rear. i run a fox. ive seen penskes and someone has one of those gold rear shocks, which i think is against the rules.

you could always roll like some people and leave the stuff stock til it breaks or you go faster than it will allow (which means you will probably break it)

3. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Don't toss the stock front fork valve itself (I don't know why you would switch them out right away, but...don't) as they are actually really good. That has nothing to do with the shimming though. Also, if you want to take care of the forks, replace the bronze busings. They get pretty beat up over time. I used to swap mine out every year. Get the right springs for your weight, at least.
    I know that the northeast GMD computrack guys have a REALLY good set up for the forks. I know because i used them & Chuck Chouinard used them to do a 15 at Loudon on that bike in 1998...

I used to run a fox, but i would run a Penske (one that is legal) or an Ohlins if you could. Anything workls better than stock. Stock would never be under me on a racetrack.

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Yup. The valves are good, the shim stack needs to be replaces. Any aftermarket rear is a better plan than stock. Get it set for you though.

5. theQman23

theQman23 Racer's Choice for TIRES

buy a Yamaha
    hee hee hehe

6. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

piss on that yamaha

7. theQman23

waazzaa maaataaa???

What's up sauce? Did my Yamaha embarrass all you Honda's out there at Beaver in the six against one where the Yamaha STILL WON!!! ooh aaahahahah
    GO TEAM FATTY'S

8. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

we thought we would get a better deal on tires.

9. theQman23

ouch man, that's just wrong................