F3 Gearing

Discussion in 'General' started by jeppe, Dec 11, 2001.

1. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

New guy whith a question!!

I'm getting a -95 CBR F3.
    Right now Im trying to figure out what kind of gearing I need. So you out there that races F3's could give me an idea about what sprocket sizes I need to have a good set that will cover my needs on the tracks in the southeast.

2. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Nevermind

[This message has been edited by Ex CCS Racer (edited 12-11-2001).]

3. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

It's a no-answer question... depends on rider ability, style, track, etc. What works for someone else might ber a poor choice for you. Start with what's on the bike???

4. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I ran one tooth down in the front at every track on mine. Got trophies [​IMG] Whether it was right or not now....I'll get back to you on that.

5. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

I went one down 1 in the front and 2 up in the back. I think that is 14/45. I am slow so if you are following me on the track you truly suck.

I will mention though that I raced with stock settings for 3 or 4 races, and then after the change I pulled out of the turns much quicker, and started beating people that always toasted my ass. You might also notice changes in engine braking power.

As mentioned by someone else, your settings are specific to each person. But moving down ratios from stock will certainly help. Just don't go too far. If you are reaching red line in 6th gear too far before the end of the longest straight you are geared too low (that is my measure, anyone else?)

PS, just go down 1 in the front for now if you are a new racer. 1) you will likly need to change gears anyway from stock, and you will need down 1 anyway. 2) it is cheaper than a bigger rear, and you wont have to cut a new chain to fit the larger rear.

[This message has been edited by Richard Lesher (edited 12-12-2001).]

6. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!
    Now I have an idea about gearing.
    I guess the rest is trial and error [​IMG]

7. fester74

fester74 huh huh u said member

The only gearing that I am sure of is for Savannah. 14-46 was perfect for me at that track. Topped out top gear at the end of the straight.