F/I SV650's

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Shawn A., Jul 27, 2004.

1. Shawn A.

Shawn A. Well-Known Member

Why are these new F/I bikes having such bad luck with engines? I hear of alot of the being blowed up! Why?

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

They rev higher, and use a soft limiter. I know of several that are doing just fine.Some have ran low on oil.

3. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

...Hmm, one would think so with that 11500 redline.. I know of three '03/'04's that indicate 11.5 on the stock tach(limiter) and the dyno's(two seperate) say its only 10,200!! Have you seen more like this??

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yup! Marketing:confused:

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I've heard various explanations, but nothing concrete or confirmed. Some say the rods are stronger; some say they are weaker. Some run high oil; some run low oil.

I know of 2 engine failures to stock motors - both connecting rod failures. The other ones I've personally seen have been to people building the motor (improperly in most cases), so you may take those for what it's worth.

I don't like the soft-limiter, but even if the bike's hitting it, it *should* be okay. With that said, it wouldn't hurt to gear a tad higher and run a thicker weight oil as preventative measures.

[clink, clink]

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I really don't even like to talk about this, I'll jinx us:(
    Both of our 03's are near stock,the endurance bike has a PC,and some other minor mods. The sprint is bone stock with a pipe.
    Change oil after every weekend, no matter what! So far, we have been lucky with this:)