1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EX500 Ignition Problem

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 70yamahaR5, Apr 1, 2013.

1. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

The new gen 2 motor is in, along with a new gen 2 wiring harness and ECM, but there's no spark. I've done the following and am out of ideas, with a trackday less than two weeks away:

1. Tried a second wiring harness and ECM.
    2. Have good grounds (frame to motor to harness).
    3. Tested the coil pickup (crankshaft sensor) for proper resistance between leads and infinite ohms from each lead to ground.
    4. Tested the primary and secondary resistance of both coils and from the secondaries through the plugs, all within specs.
    5. Although probably not necessary, jumped things like the kickstand switch circuit and made sure the neutral circuit is good in case the ECM is looking for such things, but the diagram indicates they only prevent the starter from being engaged and I've bypassed that circuit.
    6. I've tested voltages everywhere and everything (I think) is getting power (ECM, coils, etc.). The battery is properly charged, too.

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions other than set it on fire and go back to two-strokes? :D

2. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

A squirt of starter fluid and the one I have cranked right up tonight :D I have a great suggestion

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Did you use the old motors accessories? Any time I do a motor swap I always use the old motors stator, ign pick up, ecm, starter, coils etc etc etc

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Rick...

I had the same issue with my EX, when swapping in a different motor.....I generally try to do what Tuna said, but this time it didnt work. I finally figured out there are 2 different stator / rotor configurations.....with the pickups attached to the outer case.....and 2 different style rotors.

Anyhow, the rotor from the previous motor was different than the pickups for the fresh one.....I have like 5 or 6 of each, and finally got the right combo, and the bike fired right up.....and since it was like midnight, and I had an hour drive home, in my typical dum-assed-ness, I didnt make any notes on the correct combo.

Good luck sir.

5. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

You figured it out...yea right..............................

6. 70yamahaR5

Thanks, guys, that helps. My understanding is the first gen had two coil pickups (crank sensors) and four wires exiting the left cover and the second gen has one sensor and two wires. That agrees with the diagrams and both motors I have.

What's installed now is a second gen motor and all new second gen electrics and harness. (Plus I've tried two different 2G ECMs and harnesses to be sure.)

One would think I'd get some spark, even if it not at the correct time, but when I remove and ground the plugs I get nothing while cranking.

I think I have a spare 2G two left cover with sensor, so I may try removing the left cover and comparing the two.

Thanks again!

7. 70yamahaR5

And a quick check of the Kaw parts guide shows that the 94 through 08 (Gen 2) models all use the same ignition crank sensor ("coil-pulsing") and "ignitor" (ECM).

So unless the sensor is installed differently in the side cover among the years, I don't see that being the issue.

8. 70yamahaR5

I may have found the issue, thanks to this EX500 beeb thread:

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,38962.0.html

In Gen 2 ignitions there should be a 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch power to the ECM, apparently to prevent cutting and hotwiring the ignition. That may do it and I will try it tonight. Fingers crossed.

9. kanatuna

Good luck man

10. 70yamahaR5

The resistor trick worked!!!

What a relief, I was about to, as the French say, surrender.

I still have a lot of work to finalize the wiring and other things to get ready for the Desmo trackday at Barber in about 10 days, but now there's hope!

I will create a wiring diagram of all the Gen 2 stuff, including this resistor fix, and post it up later in case anyone else suffers this same fate. I'm gonna track down the guy on the EX500 beeb and send him some adult beverages. I owe him big time.

Bike sounds great with the V&H exhaust and racing baffle. Now if I can just learn to ride it half as well as Mr. Tuna and not fall down (as much as last year) I will be a happy camper.

Thanks to all for your help!

11. promod

promod Well-Known Member

rick--thats great,i didn't chime in as i can't twist 2 wires togeather w/out blowing up the battery and writing off the ecu..so its off to barber to test..as vanhalen says((tell us how you do)) to much wine i guess..joe and i are going to start drinking more beer this wine u sent us is out of control charles said the same,,,,,,let us know................................steve.........:FL::beer::clap:

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Yes Doug, I did fix it.....you did point out the thing was not working....but you were no were to be found when all the actual "figuring it out", and getting it running took place.:rolleyes:

Way to go Rick!

13. kanatuna

Glad it worked man.

14. charles

charles The Transporter

So you won't be needing my WWII-surplus flame thrower then?

15. Flying998

Flying998 Well-Known Member

Excellent... can't help you with the "not falling down" bit, but I will help you get faster around Barber !!!

16. 70yamahaR5

Charles, the bike's not ready yet, so keep the pilot light lit. Clock's ticking.

Chris, it's a shame you can't come up with a Barber simulator like you have for those big jets. And you need to delete that SV650 from your signature. :D

17. promod

promod Well-Known Member

hey rick,, u better not fall at m/c day at barber and rip up those boots ,,i don't have any more that will fit your ol' boney feet...plus don't skin up that rebuilt bullet,,its looking good,,dam good job on freshing up the ex,,tell us how it goes ,,or at least a pm..............................:beer:

18. 70yamahaR5

Thanks, Steve! This is my first trackday, looking forward to it. Hoping to finally come to terms with T5/6 and figure out how to get through there fast without tucking it. Hammer down!