Ever Had to Take A Forced Hiatus from Racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by got40, Sep 11, 2011.

1. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

A blown engine put me out the second round of the season this year. I just said screw it and have been saving money, paying off bills, and building my engine back for next year. I hated to do it but no point in making a bad situation worse.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Me 2. I had a whole season of racing planned for this year and didn't make it out once:down:
    I still have my bike though, carbs probably need cleaned!

3. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Call it a hiatus.
    Expensive wreck last August, only hit two races this year.
    Paying things off and getting lined up for next year.
    Oh and some dirt track racing over the winter.

4. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I was out for a year and a half (got married). I still don't have a bike yet but Michael Buffington was nice enough to let me ride his bike in the 4 hour yesterday. Had sooooo much fun and laid down some good times being on the bike for the first time.
    BTW: I am looking for a good 1000 immediately.

5. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Right now. Everything is breaking and got a ticket. Must renew car insurance as well as paying bills.
    Just not enough money.
    And yes, I'm pretty grumpy about it.

6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I was self imposed too. Felt like I had ridden way too many years (11) with no injuries at all while riding pretty well. Felt like it was tempting fate and just didn't want to anymore. I only miss the competition, not the riding.

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Been two years for me. Lost my job so I had to sell all the toys. It really sucked watching the truck drive away with racebike! That and I have no real desire to go back to BIR. The owner acted like a total child when I was there last year to help out an endurance team.

8. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

Completed my first season with excellent success. Was hoping to build upon it in 2010, but the $$$ ran out. Only did 2 race weekends in 2010 and 2 in 2011.

Hoping to get something going in 2012! :beer:

9. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

hiatus

Sat this year out had a total knee replacement done will be back next year hope I can still get my race # back ?

10. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

New job and relocation had me off the bike till June. Have only gotten a few rounds in, but starting to get back to normal.

11. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

Had a whole season planned but my bike had other plans.paying off som bills and hopefully ill be out there next year with a new bike.

12. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

1. Don't race on credit.
    Great advice, and probably the #1 reason I only made two rounds this year. I feel I'm at the point that I can be competitive, but only when I start to drop some serious coin - no more racing on the cheap is going to cut it. Combine that perception with the addition of my son, and expendable income isn't so expendable anymore.

13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Was goin to start in 05 but had a get off at a td resulting in a broken ankle with 6 surgeries in 4 years then i get laid off for 2.5 years. Back at work now and still have bike, so barring any silliness, i will be racing instead of watching in 2012.

14. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Yep. Had to stop back in 2004 after getting let go from my job (office politics). Guy who moved to FL came back and wanted my route. Branch mgr didnt like me because I wouldnt play their games. They made some cockamany story abotu 5 customers didnt want me out of 130. Found out a few months later about 40% of my customers dropped them after they found out they fired me. Since no insurance, no racing. Was planning to go back into it when I got another job but it took 7 months. After getting another job just couldnt get the $$$ together. Then another bunch of crap, this time another 7 months out of work WITHOUT unemployement and had to sell the racebike and trailer to pay bills. Fast forward to this year, now have insurance, already have the racebike and going back to racing bikes next season after 8 yrs out.

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You going to come visit at the GNF? Misery loves company, come on out and give the old man a hard time. :D

16. aagab

aagab Well-Known Member

It has been about 15 years for me. Between marriages, kids, divorces(yes plural), and 3 knee surgeries, I never have fully recovered financially or physically. Maybe someday.

17. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Yep, no racing since 07. Time, a good wreck at Road America, a move to and from GA, the current state of the construction biz, my brother/race partner is broke as hell, bills, etc have kept me away from the game. I refuse to live off of a credit card (it's taken until now to finally pay that year and half off).

I keep an HD and an F2 around. I'll never live without a bike. I can do without racing at this point.

18. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

I grew up at the racetrack with my dad and his motley crew of race buddies. I started in 98 and raced until 01. Had twin daughters and it financially was not possible to race. Sold all my stuff and 2 years later bought another bike and have done a few trackdays here and there just to get it out of my system. I miss it everyday and absolutely hate coming to spectate because i know i could be competitive. Family comes first, i refuse to short change my kids. But i will race again.....

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I think I'm going to take next year off. At the very least, I'm going to scale way back. I just came back from my 10th weekend of the year yesterday and honestly - while it was fun as always, it felt like more of a grind. 10 years in a row of making almost every race available in my area has added up.

I need a change. I'm done with supermoto. My V4 bike's motor parts showed up last week. Hmm.. I'm going do a few WERA and AHRMA races next year, when I feel like it. No more chasing points.

I'd also like to spend more of my time and money on the streetbike projects I have going right now. I'd also like to give touring riding a try.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

That is the best advice you can give someone with this sport. I dont even take a credit card to the track. Never have never will.

Ride safe,
    AAron