1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Events I kinda miss...

Discussion in 'General' started by Thistle, May 9, 2011.

1. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

So I spent most of the past weekend tidying up and piddling around in my shop and came across some old road race magazines on the back shelf (circa mid 1980's) that I had bought when I was no more than a wee lad. Got distracted from the work at hand and started leafing through the old mags. A few nostalgic memories were re-kindled...

Anyone remember the Trans-Atlantic Trophy Races? Some great battles featuring past masters such as Cal Rayborn, Mamola, Hennen and a memorable battle between Rainey and Schwantz - not sure if the Brits ever did win one. But great racing all the same. It'd be a great line-up of riders these days. I kinda miss that one..

Anyone remember when the Daytona 200 used to be one of the most prestigious races in the world? Guys like Whitham and Fogarty making the trip across the pond and battling it out with the likes of Russell et. all. These were good times, and for us Brits, it kinda signalled the commencement of the race season. Distinguished international line up of competitors with big crowds to boot - now it's a regular AMA race (not deprecating AMA - but what happened?) I kinda miss that too...

2. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

hell yeah ! the trans atlantic trophy , that was some awesome racing , watched it on cbs wide world of sports , what really planted the roadracing seed for me . oh yeah , i remember that !