1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erik Buell

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, May 16, 2022.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Is Higbee still racing?
    I'd always try and pit near him just to gawk at his Buell.
    I thought it was cool as hell.

G 97 likes this.
  2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

This. Their MX bike (project Griffin) was moving along, they had a pretty good guy overseeing it (Dave Osterman, he was head of the Yamaha 250 team for a few years as well as Chad Reeds team manager) so I would assume it was going in the right direction before HD pulled the plug. Never heard any details if it was more of a traditional bike or if he was trying to re-invent the wheel ala Cannondale or how far along they were able to get with the design/bikes.

Also heard lots of rumors of crazy HP naked bikes (turbos and such) test mules but HD constraints never let them pan out...

trispdtrip and G 97 like this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep

4. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I visited Erik's shop in Mukwanago back in 1985 with the race team from Yamaha of Killeen TX. We were heading to the AMA round at Road America and Erik had some interesting brake discs to try. They were made from an aluminum rotor with stainless steel sheet as the braking surface that contacted the caliper pads. I can't remember how the stainless was attached to the aluminum but it saved seven pounds off the front end of the TZ750. It turned out that it didn't work as IIRC the stainless part got hot spots and warped. I do remember seeing a couple of the RW750s in Eriks shop too.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

What were his feelings when the Motor Company acquired MV Agusta and how was his relationship with
    Matt Levatich.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

That was the one part of R&D that I wasn't allowed to see. The bike(s) must have got crushed or they're in a HD warehouse ala Raiders of the Lost Ark. Would be nice to hear that story.

[​IMG]

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I know one of the directors involved at the time was a Chris Nelsen. A young up guy and a good guy. He had some good stories to share and gave me a glimpse of things shortly after the program was canceled. I'm not aware of any surviving units.

8. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

The switch to the Rotax platform was so promising. The test ride I took on an 1190RS was both amazing and bittersweet for me because the tea leaves were already cast. The Eslick/May era of AMA Pro racing was also a career sweet spot. He should be very proud of his accomplishments. People who love Star Wars somehow find a way to hate George Lucas. Erik deserves his roses while he’s here.

ShadowBoxer and Cooter! like this.
  9. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Id like to know if he thinks there is still room for the little guy innovating in his garage anymore? Engineering and design has gotten to such a high level are the quirky shade tree innovators ever going to be able to mount another david v goliath attack like Britten or Buell?

Id also like to hear his take on the fate of ICE with the rise of eletric.

What parts of the bike are left/ripe for innovation?

Whats the first mod/favorite mod for all of his personal motorcycles?

10. jimmyboost

jimmyboost one buck a boom

Tell him thanks for taking risks and exploring different concepts...

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

AWESOME answer on the brake setup. Some really good info, including Brembo wanting to use and upgrade the system, then ultimately cancelling it. Really good info!!!!

12. Robby-Bobby

How he got involved with Harley dealers!!! On a fucking Harley Cruise and just went for it! Fucking awesome!!!

13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ginger or Mary Ann?

14. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Wait, what podcast? I'm out of the loop. Sounds like something I'd be interested in hearing.

15. Robby-Bobby

Tank Slappin Podcast

nlzmo400r likes this.
  16. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

When does this episode of the podcast come out? Is Apple podcasts the best way to listen?

17. Robby-Bobby

There are several ways to listen. Usually within a week it comes out.

This one is over an hour but slam full of awesome info. Some is known, others is probably breaking news.

Really fun episode.

Peter Hively, L8RSK8R and pfhenry like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Petty sure the answer is "I was a contracted engineer with Harley"... :D

19. Robby-Bobby

haha good point. And yes he had some very candid answers about that.

It was a great show IMO

20. daotan

daotan New Member

What's the name of the podcast?