1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine mount bolt issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ScottyJFZ1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

OK guys

I bought some new frame sliders for the gsxr and I screwed one bolt in to see how it would fit.....then when I tried to take it out it got real tough but I did manage to get it out ...to find the first qtr inch of threads filled with what I think is aluminium from the engine mount hole....

So what should I do and what does this mean? Should I try to re-tap the hole or just clean the threads and put it back in there? see picture.... before I tap anyone know the size and pitch so I use the correct tap...?

Attached Files:

2. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like you got too much. Run a tap or thread restoring tool through there. If you have enough threads left, don't worry about it. If not, might not be a bad idea to get a longer bolt and put a nut on the other end as well.

As for the correct size, you have the bolt right there, measure it.

3. hongthaomurphy

hongthaomurphy Well-Known Member

did it happen to be on the left side? ive had two gsxr's that did that because the motor drops down once the bolt has been removed and its a pain to get it lined back up correctly. it probably wouildnt have happened if i was a little more careful. tap for the motor and thread file for the bolt cleans it up pretty well

4. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

Nope this the right side....

5. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

anyone know the size and pitch so I use the correct tap? I think it is an M10 1.25 pitch...

6. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

I do not think that is possible as it threads into the engine block thru the frame...

7. Demented

As with nearly all frames/engines. Feel around on the other side, more then likely you'll have room to do that.

8. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

correct...Japanese pitch

9. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Looks like a helicoil type insert to me. Napa has them.

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

That's a first...;)

11. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

ok so it is a 1.25 pitch I really hope I can even get my tap far enough in...since it goes thru the frame first...

12. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

OK....coarser of the two fine pitches available. :D

13. Demented

1) Buy a tap with the proper length needed
    2) Drop the engine

Chose wisely.

14. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

seriously....I really hope not...for just a little thread issue...

15. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I thought you were talking about a stripped out motor mount, not some little thread issue...Tdub

16. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

true but never thought I would need o drop the motor to fix it....thats a lot more work than I was thinking.....hhhmmm

17. Demented

If you get the proper sized tap or thread restoring tool, and line the holes up right, you don't need to. If you don't have the proper tools, easiest way to do it correctly is to drop the motor.

Or you could just cut the portion of the frame away, but that defeats the purpose.

18. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

gotcha....I have the proper tap but it feeds thru the frame before getting to the threaded area so I need to come up with a way to turn the tap once it is in the hole...my tap is your typical tap aboit 3 to 4 inches long...

thanks for the suggestions and help...I hope to get to it tonight...

19. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

Your "little thread issue" will only get worse if you fiddle with it as is.

Drop the engine, check, clean, drill, helicoil! Problem solved.

20. Demented

If there is room to fit a socket over the shank end and have it also fit in the frame, drill 2 holes in the side of the socket, thread them, and run some set-screws through it to grip the square end of the shank, and go slow.

If even that wont work, longer tap or dropping the engine is about the only way to do it right. I went through this a month or two ago finally fixing some old crash damage. Was a pain to drop the engine, but worth it knowing the mount was fixed right.