1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical help

Discussion in 'General' started by glenngsxr, Apr 12, 2015.

1. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

I just moved into a foreclosure and the previous turd ripped out the entire electrical panel. Looks to be a 200 AMP service, but I really don't know. There are three large wires coming into the house from the city. There are three 220's going out and about a dozen 110 circuits or so.

What should I expect to pay to get an electrician to come out and put a new one in?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Bank on a grand. You might get lucky and save a couple hundo, or might cost you twice that. All depends on local inspectors and utilities' requirements.

Here in Xcel territory, any time you pop the seal on a meter socket that isn't current, you're replacing it. If it's a newer home you should be fine, it likely has a bypass meter socket. If your meter enclosure is just barely wider/taller than the meter globe itself, bust open piggy cuz the price just doubled.

3. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Like Egg said.....Minimum I would think is a grand....

Depends on how they removed panel....could have damaged some wires coming into the panel then you have another issue.....

Get an electrician to look at the conditions to get an indication of the damage done to the wiring when they ripped out the panel.....

My gut tells me you could be at $2K+ to get this all sorted out....

Here in SoCal I can get a panel changed out for around $1,500 - $1,800.....this includes joint meet with SDGE connecting their side....

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Do it yourself, they have all the stuff at Home Depot.
    The beeb will talk you through any problems.
    Post pics.

5. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

There's usually a breaker at the meter - check size (100/200A)

6. pickled egg

No there isn't.

7. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

wiring

two of the wires coming in are hot 220 . the center one will be a ground . the guys are pricing it about right. those wires are hot if the meter is still plugged in but if the electric was shut off( repo) they may have pulled the meter and put insulators on the prongs and re-installed it. make sure you check those wires for juice before you do anything. if you have anyt luck at all the original electrician may have marked the wires on the insulation for where they go. good luck. bill and darethea

8. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

depends on where he's at. most all of them have a main disconnect breaker at the meter now, in GA.

9. ToddClark

oh, and yea, if you dont know how to do it yourself, then youre looking at a MINIMUM of a grand.

10. pickled egg

Srsly? :confused:

That's all kindsa fucked up. I've installed enough disconnecting meter sockets when they were necessary, but the idea of having main disconnects outside for any jagoff to saunter by and fuck with always made my sales pitch to find some way of getting the main inside.

Though some of the inspectors have gotten pretty hardass on having the panel set immediately where the entrance penetrates the exterior, we at least don't have to do *that*.

11. ToddClark

yep, but i think its more to do with safety for firemen. This way they can at least kill that main and shut off all power to the inside the house till the power company gets there to kill the power at the transformer.

I find it convenient when the homeowner wants to do some DIY stuff in the panel and doesnt want to chance with touching the main wiring coming to the main. Its nice to be able to just go outside, kill that breaker and then go install the branch cir. breaker or whatever theyre wanting to do. :up:

12. pickled egg

Pshaw!

If they're not hot connecting 277v lighting they can eff right off with their "safety" scheiss. :p

13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

His location says CO.

Most newer (last 5-7 years) installations I've seen in Colorado have the panel and breakers outside the house. Not sure if that is practice or state electrical code.

Time to call an electrician unless you really know what you are doing.

14. ToddClark

:crackup: i absolutely HATE 277! I'd been doing electrical work for all of 2 weeks (back in 82) when i got hung up on a light switch i was changing out. Old fart i worked with showed me what to do, and left me in there by myself. shit went in one hand thru my chest, and out my left hand. Blew out the meat on 4 of my knuckles and blistered the shit out of my finger where my wedding band was. I literally thought i was dying. I ALMOST said F electrical work!

15. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

We have them here (outside disconnects) as well.

I believe it is the new ICC for fire code

16. pickled egg

So you're a slow learner... :crackup:

17. ToddClark

:crackup: nope, but i learned a GREAT respect for electricity that day. I work stuff hot all the time (up to and including 277), anything over that and i turn that shit off. Its been 33 years now and ive only been hit by 277 once, and i was being so careful, i was EXPECTING to get hit, so when it did get me, i had already positioned myself in a way that i could yank my hand back to get off of it (twas another damn light, changing out a ballast).

18. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

There is a main box outside as well. Utilities shut off the power and put a seal on the box. I priced out everything I need. Panel and breakers comes to about $450 or so. I was told our code required GFI breakers for any "living space" areas so that really drove the price up on those. I'm confident on my abilities to wire everything up. I'm not confident I know the coding/permitting requirements. I'm going to keep researching and attempt it myself and then have an electrician friend come check my work, pull the permit for me, and then sign off on it.

19. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

You sure they wanted GFI in living areas and not Arc fault/GFI combos?

20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

^^ This

standard is Ground Fault (GFCI) for baths, laundry rooms, kitchen counters, garages, outdoor, and below grade outlets; and Arc Fault breakers (AFCI) for living spaces (bedrooms, living room, family room, etc.)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015