1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durango or 4Runner?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Dec 30, 2015.

1. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

One thing to seriously consider is value. Which vehicle is going to lose the most? The Toyota will hold its value much better!

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Those new Durangos sure are pretty (and the T4R's are NOT), but unless you're just gonna look at it...TOYOTA

For $35K I'd be looking at Lexus GX's (a 4runner with a V8 and luxury crap) or a Sequoia Limited or Platinum

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Same here almost word for word. My '07 FJ has less miles than yours but comparing a Toyota and a Dodge are apples and oranges. Dodge is not in the same league as a Toyota.

As you said, when I rent a car and it's a Dodge/GM/Chrysler and I'll add Chevy, it's consistently the shittiest thing I've driven.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My last few rentals have been Hyundais and Toyotas.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've had a LOT of turnover in my driveway the last couple years, mostly because I'm fickle....but during that time I drove a bunch of T4R's and Sequoias, a GX and a QX56. The QX was quite pimped out, but the quality wasn't there. I had an '07 4R V8 for a bit, 160K and ran perfect- I just wasn't expecting how truck like it would be and didn't like the fulltime 4WD. While the Sequoias are also built on a truck platform (Tundra, while the 4R is on a Tacoma), they ride much smoother. All the Toyotas I drove were amazingly fresh for their age/mileage, the most impressive one was an '06 Sequoia with 250K that literally looked and ran like new- not so much as a crack in the leather or a squeak or rattle. Good luck finding a 250K mile Durango in that condition.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

FWIW, I drove a loaded 2014 Durango RT yesterday. It was pretty sweet, and had more bells and whistles than I could imagine.

7. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Wife has a 2012 Durango v8. Absolutely loves it.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Those of you talking about how Jeeps will rust out and Toyotas never have any issue of any kind ever should look into the fact that Toyota has been having frames rust out on Tacomas and Tundras for decades. And people are seeing it with 4 runners as well.
    That said, I am a fan of my Tacoma. I just make sure the undercarriage is washed weekly this time of year.

9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I've never owned a 4-runner or a Durango but some people here were mentioning value and depreciation so I'll chime in.

In July of 2011 I bought a new Tacoma crew cab trd. I wanted a 1/2 ton but the gas prices at the time were high and everybody and their mother were telling me that the Tacoma was a much better investment and will hold it's value better than any other truck on the market.

Bought the Tacoma and had it for exactly 4 years and traded it in a week after I paid it off. Yes, maintenance free for almost 55K miles and resale/ trade in was good but I drove a piece of shit for 4 years of my life. Horrible fit and finish, poor mpgs from the 4.0l v6 and even worst when towing my enclosed aluminum trailer.
    For the people who are weary of "domestic", mine was assembled in CA, most likely on a late Friday afternoon by mexicans making $10/h or less.

That's all I have to say about Toyota, other than I'll never buy one again.

10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Well, never fear because all 4runners are built in Japan! :D Mine was built in the Lexus factory, and its fit/finish is great. I was getting 18mpg with the v6 when towing my 6x12 (not a v-nose) loaded with bikes, coolers, etc.

I get 21 w/o towing unless I'm running 80+mph.

11. Ninja

Ninja Active Member

Went to MOAB for the 25th & 30th anniversary of my toys - They never had a front end alignment

[​IMG]

12. alan

alan Well-Known Member

I've owned 06 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.7 V8, 08 4Runner 4.7 V8, 12 Lexus GX460 4.6 V8, 14 4Runner 4.0 V6, and a Tacoma. All of those are built in Japan except for the Tacoma. The Japanese stuff usually has a better build quality. I still own the Lexus and the Tacoma. I would suggest looking at the GX460 it has a 4.6 V8, 6spd, and full time 4wd. I get 20mpg on the hwy at 80mph and 16.5 around town. In the 14 4runner the converter seemed to always lock and unlock at highway speeds.
    Yes I like Toyota products.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Jason P.

Jason P. Well-Known Member

I love my '15 Runner Trail. All around solid vehicle. Does what I need and the 4WD is great in northeast snow. My folks had a '00 Limited, love that thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My only gripe is the transmission SUCKS.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

That's a deal breaker to me.

15. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

Stay away from the 4th generation 4Runners so I can ensure a cheap, plentiful supply for a while.

16. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I've had both and would suggest the Toyota all the way. Too many stupid little issues with the Durango.

17. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

We love our 07 4R v8 Limited, found it last year with only 62K. I wouldnt trade it for a new '15 Durango but I am a bit biased. The 4.7 v8 is a phenomenal motor, only complaint is gas mileage is averaging 17, not too bad for this size vehicle. My 2nd gen 4R was a great vehicle also even tho it was way underpowered (3.slow), had it for 10 years and put over 250K on it.

18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Such as?

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

How so?

20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Don't know where you're at, but up here where we get salt on the roads for half the year those things (and every dodge really) rust out like crazy. I will drive past 2 less than 3 year old Ram trucks on my way to the gym in a minute that have rust consuming half the tailgate, the fenderwells, and the bottoms of the doors. It's nuts. I live in a former major Chrysler manufacturing town, so you see Dodge trucks everywhere. They all seem to rust very quickly. My 11 year old GMC is rust free.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016