1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dunlop 209GP

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jamesm925, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jamesm925

Jamesm925 Well-Known Member

dunlop racing's got a $299 special on their site for the 209GP's..
    a few questions:

these are for the us versions, not the UK's. i've heard the UK version rocks, but dunno much about the US version.

also, it says something to the effect that the tires dont grow w/ heat--i thought only the N-TEC rear had the 'no grow' quality? :confused:

2. IcePick06

IcePick06 Well-Known Member

They supposedly don't grow with heat because of their JLB (jointless band) technology. I have a set right now on my 600 and only did 4 laps on them. I realized I'm a Pirelli guy so I actually want to sell them, although I think the tires work pretty good, especially for the price. You are local too (I live in Laguna Hills), so let me know if you want them...$240 pickup

3. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

209's rock, I haven't used the NTEC Dot's yet but the slicks rule. Unless your Mladin or Spies, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between US and UK tires. At $299, get them, :D

4. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

not until they spit you on your head without warning. :) There is a HUGE difference between the US and UK made tires, HUUUUUUUGE difference.

Also, about the only ones theyre selling now (UK) are the ntecs, slicks and DOT's.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

There are a number a factors that will determine if you will be able to tell the difference between the US and UK. If you are in the top 10 of the expert C, B, or A class, then probably so.

If you are in the 2nd wave of the novice classes, not so much. Despite what anyone here says, the tires are fine. I ran them the past two years and never had an issue with them. Everyone said the samething about the US vs UK 208 gp's and they were fine too.

Bottom line if you are comfortable then run them. If you are thart fast and you find that you need the best possible performance, then make a change.

6. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

The us version sux!!!!!!!!!!!That is a fact.Ran a set at vir at a NESBA track day, bald after lunch!The funny thing is they never stuck.Euro or NTEC.I have never heard anybody say anything good about them.The us version that is.

7. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

The old US tires did in fact suck. The new stuff from the US is supposed to be much much better. Still not quite as good as the UK N-tecs, but pretty good....and much cheaper.

8. HD1911

HD1911 Johnny Rocket

Take it from someone who has ran both....there IS a difference. The NTEC is a waaayy better tire

9. Col_Kurtz

Col_Kurtz Well-Known Member

For what its worth, I'm middle of the pack in A Novice and I notice a HUGE difference between the US and UK versions. I was running the US 209s for practice at Cal Speedway and had a very rough day. Switched over to the UK version for race day and took of several seconds over night. A WORLD of difference....

10. Bad Dog

Wow, I never noticed any difference, except in slicks, where the rear lasted longer before it went off. Lap times slightly reflected that, but not hugely.

11. vietnow

vietnow Well-Known Member

What pirelli are you using it? and what price can you get them for?

12. 418

418 Expert #59

This is what I've been told as well.

p.s. I've been spat on my head on Dunlop slicks, so I guess those are shit then as well.:Poke:

13. vietnow

I run the Us version and lasted 3 days did not have any problems with them.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Hate partner, that's probably more indicative of your speed than how good the tire is 3 days on anything is damn near impossible once you get up to a certain pace.

15. vietnow

Yes, your correct.

16. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

I've used both, and the NTec rock as compared to the U.S. versions. I had one little problem with the U.K. version front tire.. it grew so much that it tore apart my front fender.. This was from the UK GP209 NTec damage from the long straight at California Speedway. Funny thing was I could smell burning rubber heading into turn 1, but I thought it was a bike I was overtaking going into the corner.

But then when I smelled it again the next lap.. then I knew it was my bike:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I ended up replacing the front fender.. and then I tried the GP211 NTec's at my last race at Willow Springs, and coming off the straight into turn 1, I could smell the burning rubber again.... The GP211's do the same thing.

I'm bummed because they NTec's are so much better than the U.S. versions.. but they jack up my front fenders.

I'm gonna try the Diablo Supercorsas.

17. Bad Dog

Sorry, I disagree on that.

Good luck with that, you'll be begging for dunnies after a few laps or your money runs out, :eek: :up:

18. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

slot out the mounting holes and raise the fender up. This will also make tire warmers fit a lot easier.