1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duct Tape Removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gmaniac, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Gmaniac

Gmaniac Well-Known Member

How do you remove duct tape adhesive residue that's cooked onto the front headlight? I've tried Goo-Gone and Wd-40 and neither is doing anything to this stuff.

Thanks.

2. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Kerosene. As a solvent. Don't light it :D

Also try 3M's Adhesive, Paint & ____ Remover.

3. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

the 3M stuff works good, part #8984 is a qt, cheap too

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

[​IMG]

5. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

mineral spirits works too

6. pouchkangaroo

pouchkangaroo Banned

Yoda gin if all fail :D

7. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

If the above chems fail and you have to spring for a lens try this as a last resort. Works on faded plexiglass headlight buckets on cars too. Sand it off and when gone use wet sand paper gradually using finer grade then use rubbing compound. Use circular motion. Then with muscle or even better a machine polisher clean up with rubbing compound. Wax. Make mental note to turn light off next time. Good Luck, mike

8. pouchkangaroo

pouchkangaroo Banned

This is some funny shite which, by the way, got me thinking bout cutting the affected chunk out, patch it up, and do all of the above.
    I would think the last resort is to just buy a new lens and be done with :D

9. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

With lenses for autos on autos costing in the vicinity of $200 and I cannot say what they are for a bike. Maybe some would rather have money for a trackday or entry fees.

10. Gmaniac

Gmaniac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help.

11. Fast GSXR 750

Fast GSXR 750 Member

I've used olive oil (yes it's the stuff you cook with) to remove sticker residue in the past and have had great . I know it sounds strange , put a little on a soft cloth and let it soak in and it will soften up the residue.

12. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Years ago (when I used it) race gas would take most anything off.

mmfoor

13. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Real Lemon. No kidding.

14. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

And next time, instead of duct tape, cover the headlight with gaffers tape, which is similar in color and strength (not that strengh matters in this application), is easily removeable, and leaves no sticky glue residue behind.

jD

15. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

brake parts cleaner, or laquer thinner