1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Owners - Case saver

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Abiagi, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

For the Ducati riders out there. Who do you know of that makes a decent case saver for the both the generator and clutch side? I've see a few different products, but want to see if there is anything that I've missed.

This is what I've found so far.

R&G Case Saver

Slingshot Case saver

I haven't found much for the generator side, only really protection for the water pump.

Speedymoto Water pump housing

Generic Ebay housing

I'm also going to pick up a Desmotimes case save in the event that the chain goes, and decides to break through the case.

Desmo times case saver

If anyone on here has any good input with regards to what thy are using to protect their own cases, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S - I'm on an 848

2. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

3. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

Technically, yes, it would bolt up. The pattern is the same, but the 848 runs a wet clutch stock, which I have, so no go :tut:

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

5. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

Freddie, just had a look at my clutch cover, looks slightly different. Like their cover only uses 2 vs 4 of the holes on the topside. Their water pump saver looks pretty beefy though. Good looking product. I may have to pick that one up.

6. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

:up:
    Axljak makes excellent stuff...

7. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

Ducati make some carbon covers that go on the bottom of the left and right engine covers. They are just held on with double sided tape but it's good enough for World Superbike tech.

8. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet the amount of times that I crash will be inverse to the amount of WSB podium finishes Haga had last year. So Carbon may work for him, but I don't think it will work for me. :Poke:

But they do look nice :D

9. duckracer

duckracer Well-Known Member

Both the clutch and stator sides of the 848 are made of cast aluminium. So a "skid plate" can be welded on by a competent welder with a tig welder. Two years ago I pitched my 1098 down the track on the stator side and ground the lower edge of the stator cover and part of the water pump housing down. Since it did not grind through I welded a 1/4 inch "skid plate" to the lower edge of the stator cover, and to the replacment water pump housing. I low sided once last year and the "skid plates" held up fine. So that is an option, but note that the water pump housing is a "bitch" to weld if it has been exposed to antifreez so I would sugest the axeljack cover that I know works, or weld up a new unused housing.

10. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have been searching for something for the stator cover with no luck. This sounds like it may be the ticket. Appreciate the info.

I've also heard that a longer frame slider can do the trick of protecting the cases. Can anyone verify? I've been looking at the Woodcraft under fairing ones, but If the longer ones will do a better job of protecting the bike, that may be what I end up getting.