1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 748S

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Aug 28, 2022.

1. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

The subframe is aluminum instead of steel, My 748 had the subframe swapped but not the wiring harness. The monoposto had the ECU mounted farther away than the biposto, This means you can easily mount the ecu. The previous owner of my bike left it zip tied to the plastic under the seat. This means after a while of riding it would literally cook the ecu since the exhaust is right below it. It unfortunately took two fried ECU's to understand what was happening.

Moral of story, just put the monoposto seat on the biposto subframe.

cpettit likes this.
  2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Picked this up yesterday. Needs a thorough cleaning and fluid/belt change and some tires. Was last registered in 2017. 4600 miles.

14018891-E209-43AC-A7E9-E91F7FB33BB4.jpeg D466595F-972F-4736-9C8C-040346C92DD6.jpeg 471C5C91-4854-4CAD-A7FB-C90E14D68FFE.jpeg

bpro, six6two, trussdude and 4 others like this.
  3. cpettit

How does one get a front paddock stand to work with these? Doesn’t seem to be a hole in the lower triple clamp for it. Also, the forks seem to be pulled way up in the triples. Is that a common set up or has someone tried to lower this?

FBD2CD6C-3C05-4E61-B178-C6C89B1B9E49.jpeg

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It’s a Ducati, so that will be a special $800 stand. :D

six6two, rd400racer and cpettit like this.
  5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Agreed. There's some good looking bikes that have been produced since but a 916, and I'd say the Aprilia RS250 also, are absolute classics. Timeless beauty.

six6two likes this.
  6. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

They make special adapters for the front stands.
    My forks on both the 748 and 996 are that far above the triples.
    Belts are simple to do on these. Only pain is removing the tank. Other than that, fairings, battery tray and belt covers pop right off. Good luck and have fun.

cpettit likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

While the D16RR is much cooler sounding and exotic, I think the old 748/916 are much prettier bikes from an art only perspective.

The last new bike I bought for me was a 916. I sold it to keep Tyler racing for $5k with only 4.7k miles on it back in about 2010-11.

How much is a nice one now?

Back when Tyler was racing the SV, he rode a friends 748 out at Cal Soeedway and thought it was a turd. It could have entirely been setup related, I don’t remember.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    six6two likes this.
  8. cpettit

So now that i've got her all undressed and been dry humping her in the garage for a few days, i'm on the hunt for some parts. I'd like to find a monoposto tail (yellow preferably but any color will do) and a slip on exhaust. Been perusing fleabay and other sites and am watching a few things but i'm sure some of the hoarders around here have some old 748/916/996/998 parts laying around.

I'd also be interested in some nice rear sets, an aftermarket steering damper, fancy air filters (why there are 2 in the air runners and not 1 the air box is beyond me), any misc carbon or billet blingy bits would also be cool. Lemme know if you have anything.

9. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

10. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

Filters in the runners instead of airbox give a little bit better throttle response, according to some random thread I read on a ducati forum somewhere.

11. cpettit

Yeah. Ran into him at cars and coffee a couple weeks ago and he mentioned he is selling off some of his toys. He still has some real nice bikes but he sold a couple of his Vettes. He's riding scooters and a sweet 67 BMW with a sidecar mostly these days.

bpro likes this.
  12. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Just a heads up, if I remember correctly, the 748/916/99* had a self retracting sidestand that resulted in left side replacement body panels being a popular thing when the sidestand was no longer where you left it. I think a few companies made widgets to defeat that.

Congrats on the new money pit :)

Edit: Looks like FBF still makes them: https://www.ferracci.com/products/sidestand-non-retract-916

13. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Thats great. I always likes Kenny, I need to reach out to him sometime. Last time I saw him was at a cars and coffee and he had his dog in the BMW sidecar. Prior to that was at Mid Oh VMD where he was acting as pit crew(ish) and Chef when Hancock was racing Mike B's TZ

cpettit likes this.
  14. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

When I raced a 916 back in the day, the airbox would always have debris in it with the duct filters so ran an ITG foam filter that went over the velocity stacks to keep debris out of the engine. MWR has a similar filter too. I went through like three plastic airboxes from the frame flexing and cracking them, the 748R I raced after had a carbon airbox so stiffer and didn't crack.