1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down sizing ( getting rid of stuff)

Discussion in 'General' started by Photo, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I know the old saying " person with the most toys when they die wins" but at what age did you or will you start to sell off stuff? Like guns,motorcycles, parts, bicycles ,tools etc etc. Not sell off everything but going from 5-6
    motorcycles down to 1-2. Do I really need 5 bicycles etc. Don't want to put the burden on the family to get rid of the stuff after I am gone. Plus they are pretty much clueless how much some of the stuff is worth.

malamute and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

now is the time... if you dont use it lose it

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

agreed. if you haven't used it in over a year, then time for a new home, except tools

upload_2023-11-22_5-46-23.png

malamute, cha0s#242, Wingnut and 9 others like this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Just sold 2 dirt bikes. Down to 9 now! Lol

Guns? Never.

ToofPic, malamute, YamahaRick and 4 others like this.
  5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I'm 53. looking at 5 more years of working and then wife and I are out of this crap weather to a sunnier venue in central america. The sell off begins now for me.

6. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Guns? Send me a list of what you are wanting to get rid of. :D

The rest you decide if you care what happens to it when you pass. If you do then make it sure it goes where you want it to before that happens or it will be sold for pennies on the dollar to a chop shop.:D

deweytheduc and Pixelator like this.
  7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I keep trying but it ain't happening. 15 motorcycles and enough guns to arm two squads of Marines. I'm loading up right now on my way to West Virginia and asking myself why do I need all this stuff. Because I do!:D

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm 60 and have already started to unload some stuff, mainly work tools like scaffolding and tools needed to build things 'll never do again. You won't see me 40' in the air again! I have gotten rid of a few guitars. I have an awesome home theater and audio system I don't think my kids even care about, they like the speakers on their phones :(

9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I started a few years ago. In my mid 40’s. It is one of the best things I have ever done. I’m not a minimalist, but I try. It’s good for the soul.

It’s one of the reasons I love wristwatches. I can have something mechanical to be into/collect and they don’t take up much room. They hold their value, they require little maintenance and I can wear one every day. That being said, I’m actually starting to simplify that collection too.

Just a few months ago I made it down to one motorcycle. A 2019 Ducati Multistrada Enduro that I have fixed up exactly how I like it. I’ve probably had as many as 20 motorcycles at one point. Now I’m thinking about adding another around town bike. :)

We like to travel and getting rid of stuff has had a HUGE impact on our ability to travel. I didn’t realize how much time and effort I was spending to take care of our stuff.

10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

The fact that you are asking the question means thankfully you arent a hoarder. Hoarders would never ponder getting rid of stuff.

11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

They say the first step with any addiction is admitting you have a problem...

I have a 'collecting stuff' addiction.

I've been working on doing the 'Hokie-Pokie' to turn myself around, but I'm doing it slowly, with my troublesome knees.
    Yeah, my Mom was a librarian. She would / could never have 'too much stuff.' It just needed to be 'organized.'
    My folks lived very different lives as young kids during the depression. Very little was discarded to landfills.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  12. Dave Wolfe

Every little scrap of paper is a freaking prized possession of the utmost importance dont you know!!??!!!?

:mad::(

Wanker stick with it. I can tell you that dealing with a family members 'collection' is mentally very very challenging.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I started a long time ago. It's only gotten worse as I get older. If I don't use something that isn't a tool every 6 months or so it tends to go away.

14. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

2024 is our year to shrink stuff.
    Probably buy a new smaller home further from town.
    Sell one boat and thin out out work stuff. I may never retire but I've already began cherry picking jobs.
    Wife is weaned off shoes, pocketbooks and jewelry.
    Dropped her back to a minivan from a 4 door Ram with a 6.5 bed as we mostly work the same jobs if possible.
    Before we move gonna get a dumpster for anything not easily sellable.

John Branch likes this.
  15. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  16. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I didn't realize you knew my family, Dave!
    I began work on their stuff when they were healthy in 2006-7 after I'd bought their house. This despite my Mom's cursing at me. Then in the fall of '09 I began to move them closer to me. I still have boxes of stuff, photo's, paperwork, some furniture, and my Grandpa's tools to go through.

One day I might also work on whittling my own stuff down and selling a few of my bicycles and motorbikes.

17. Dave Wolfe

My Brother!!

I feel your pain. Yep its a no win situation. You cant move all the stuff and they hate you for throwing anything out. No wonder why they end up alone to die in their hoard.

Once a Wanker.. and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm trying to do this too. When I had 5 motorcycles stolen, I didn't replace any of them. I'm thinking about selling a couple more bikes, but want to pickup a KTM 350-500 EXC-F. Also am keeping a mini moto for me to play with occasionally. Fortunately, I sold off all the race bikes before the thieves hit me. Gave away most of my RC car stuff. My wife was suggesting I start getting rid of my tools and I told her those are staying with me until I die. Have managed to donate/throw away a bunch of clothes and other crap in the garage.

When I was back home, my dad and I grabbed some of his old good GS1100 parts, heads, cases, and donated them to a shop we both raced out of.

Tas, SundaySocial, beac83 and 2 others like this.
  19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

After my dad passed on, my brother and I spent three years dealing with his stuff. I realized that I did not want to burden my kids with the same task.

20. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

We had a lightning strike/fire right before the China virus.
    Most everything gone, what made it was junk with water damage,,
    Sounds hard to believe but it was kinda liberating. Happy it was just gone and in one fel swoop....
    [​IMG]