1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

doesnt it kinda feel weird to some of you?

Discussion in 'General' started by fullmetalF4i, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seems to bother you in some way because you keep responding and now you're tossing in insults. ;)

Of course I did forget that you were a big bad AMA wrench for a while and the entirety of racing is confined to merely that series and the people involved in it. Please forgive me, I'll try not to forget your qualifications as an expert on roadracing in the future.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Po-ta-to.

Po-ta-to.

Turns out there are two ways to say the same thing.

3. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

Sure, but I don't think you can call someone who revolutionizes a sport, or dominates it for that matter, a blip. They play a major role, guide the sport in some way. Matt Mladin may not have been a great, but he was no blip. He was on top in his class for an extensive period. That will go in the record books as more than a blip.

4. Magistrate

Magistrate Member

So in 2007, when Mat won 12 races to Ben's 7 wins, and lost by 1 point in the championship- Ben was the man to beat?

This isnt to take away from what Ben did- he managed to beat Mat! But how does that make him the man to beat in AMA Superbike?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. The number one plate means he was up front of all the other racers more often than Mat.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He wasn't a blip in AMA Superbike - one single class. He was a blip in roadracing. So him being gone has zero effect on me or anything I do or the overwhelming vast majority of the races I watch every weekend. To me and what I do - blip. He didn't revolutionize roadracing, he didn't have any effect on anything I've ever done with regard to rules or class structures or anything, he dominated one single class at 10 events or less a year. To me, blip. Since I'm the one posting blip pretty sure I didn't mean he was a blip to the rest of you, if you're that easily impressed more power to you, that would be your call and your opinion.

7. Magistrate

Magistrate Member

Note that OP is talking about AMA Superbike here, not WERA or CCS, etc...

In that case this seems totally accurate.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Notice my response said racing in the US not AMA Superbike.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No, it doesn't. What are you smoking today? :D

And Ben was "the man to beat" for two years, not three.

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

From a spectator's POV, watching last years races compared to this years defenitely makes a small blip. Despite the downfalls of the coverage, there was more excitement at Daytona, then in all of last years superbike series.

Martin, Blake, all three Josh's make it worth watching.

I think the sport could use a maverick to come out and pull a Gobert. Show up and say "I can beat all of you fat, stoned, and stupid."

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, I've said AMA Superbike doesn't factor into the world of racing much, so I was off by a year :D

12. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Mongo often makes sense. This isn't one of those times.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nice way to put it. :crackup:

14. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sorry you guys put so much focus on one class in one series, I don't. I've got 20+ classes across 30+ weekends every year that have better racing and more memorable people than Mladin.

16. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Those ARE the same thing.

17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Mongo: read here. This discussion is about superbike racing. Mladin was obviously more than a blip in this discussion. I guess someone needs to call the office and tell Ev to give you your pie back.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I read the post. I responded with my opinion on Mladin in overall US racing explaining why I did not notice. A bunch of people then flipped right the fuck out because of my opinion.

I have posted that in that one class in that one series he was not a blip (not sure how people keep missing that unless they're too outraged to actually read versus react). However that doesn't change my opinion of his placement in the whole of motorcycle roadracing in the United States.

19. metricdevilmoto

Which was my point. But thanks for finally putting an end to that age old debate.

20. metricdevilmoto

Who flipped out?

I'm enjoying the read.