1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY: Homemade Motorcycle Tools

Discussion in 'General' started by caferace, Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. caferace

caferace No.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Expected some real hack but most are real cool. Thanx.

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I couldn't keep browsing for long. Some of the stuff is actually tools you can buy. I have 53 tools hanging in my shop that could go on that site.

caferace and Phl218 like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

built a tire changer (like no-mar) out of aluminum profiles and put the bar together out of 1/2" pipe.

got a no-mar for cheap and ditched the DIY-one

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I made the tool for Ohlins cartridges out of a piece of pipe I had in the shop because I didn't want to wait on the real one.

6. I have about 15 and I don't do what you do. I make a lot of my own stuff, mainly due to poor planning but I also like to make stuff. If I make something that works good and I'm making a final aka prettier one I'll make 3-5 of them as most of the shit that's specialty people will ask to borrow. I just give them away as needed.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I wish I could afford to give tools away. I find a process that needs a tool and make a prototype, then tweak it after using it and inquire around about demand. Because a lot of them are motorcycle specialized, demand is small. I'll make ten or twenty and end up sitting on eighteen of them for a long time. I have a shelf with that stuff on it. Curved wrenches for inaccessible shock adjustments, engine building tools, fork tools, clutch holders, bearing drivers, etc. I make them because I need them. Friends say, "that's cool!" Then nobody buys them. At least I have them to make my life easier.

G 97 likes this.
  8. I always end up making Ducati tools. Clutch basket holders, half ring setting tool, etc.

9. Like I stated, we are in different worlds. I make my own tools because I like to, not have to. I am also lucky to have access to a great machine shop as well as free material so that makes it easier. If I made them to sell them it would not be worth making because it would be no fun to me.

10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Very cool stuff....thanx Jim.

11. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member

Yes - if only there was someplace on the web where motorcycle people gathered that you could cheaply place a classified ad with pictures to sell some of your tools to like minded people... some sort of message board perhaps. Ah well... :crackup:

panthercity likes this.
  12. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

Definitely worth a browse through there, if only to admire some of the work. Thanks!

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The problem is, is that nobody(or very few) wants to pay enough to make it worth while. Machining/machinst are probably the most undervalued skill on the sidework market. People will pay 80-90% of going market rate for electricians, body men, plumbers, all stuff they can do themselves, but they want a machinist to make a trinket for $20 that would take hours to make, not including designing part.

14. Yepper. It's very time consuming to say the least. A good machinist is worth their weight in gold.

15. The case splitter was great. A putty knife :)

16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'm quoting this just because it needs to be quoted again. :beer:

Boman Forklift, pscook and RM Racing like this.
  17. homemadetools

homemadetools New Member

Hey, I know that site! :D

Thanks for the link; saw the traffic coming through. Cheers to you guys, and keep on making homemade tools [​IMG]

Phl218, bleacht and caferace like this.
  18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I stand to inherit a whole pile of "speciality" tools my father has made during his career as a car/truck/motorcycle mechanic these past 50 some years.

19. homemadetools

homemadetools New Member

Hey guys - we have a new ebook out: How to Make a Belt Sander. 100% free of course. Click the graphic below to check it out:

[​IMG]

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

lol, a bot.