1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bike dickheads…….??

Discussion in 'General' started by britx303, Dec 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah the rebuild kits are plenty affordable. You have to be arsed to do it though. I really want a 2 smoker, but the best bike is the one you can ride without making a production of it.

I’m convinced the best motorcycle is a dirty bike with plates so you don’t have to stick it in a truck to use it. Also, relatively low maintenance so you don’t have to adjust valves and do rebuilds and can just ride when it fancies you. I see dudes selling plated Drz350s for like $2000 locally(ish). That model is a dump truck, you can just do oil changes, replace consumables and the fucker will keep going forever. A ‘92 will go another 30 years easy. It’s not as fast or fun as a YZ, but it’s a hell of a lot better than not having a running bike!

I love the idea of a YZ, but gotta agree with you that dude got the better end with the XR trade. Those bikes are also rock solid. If I bought a brand new bike, it’d probably be the XR650L. Thing hasn’t changed for 20+ years.

You don’t need to take it to the shop. They make carb baths and rebuild kits, just disassemble it and dump it into the stinky chem bath overnight. Scrub any gunk, blow out holes with brake cleaner, replace the gaskets ‘n other shit with whatever’s in the rebuild kit and 99.99% it’ll work just fine.

You don’t even need to know how the damned thing works whatsoever, just don’t lose any of the little ass parts.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    DmanSlam, 969, R1Racer99 and 3 others like this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

@R1Racer99 this is true. Plus there is probably someone local that would be willing to help you. If you came over to my place with the carb in hand, I would help you, and I'm sure many others would too.

DmanSlam, R1Racer99 and Sabre699 like this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

There should be no doubt by anyone that you would be willing to help. Kudos. :D

Banditracer likes this.
  4. tsflstb

tsflstb Well-Known Member

Admittedly I was dirt-curious and a couple years ago had a free bike fall in my lap. It’s a 93 XR200 pulled from a barn.

It works in the woods and gets the occasional full send on the MX track. I am amazed the frame hasn’t cracked in half yet.

E0BEBA4C-D00E-4983-B277-8B75A8F6047F.jpeg Debating getting a real MX bike but afraid it will spoil the fun.

scottn, jksoft, 969 and 4 others like this.
  5. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Rented a XR100 mini-moto twice (go kart track), then buying an XR100, riding it around the backyard a few times.... and then buying a YZ250, riding it for a half hour in the woods, and then going to a MX track for my 2nd ride on it :eek:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    cBJr likes this.
  6. SpeedyE

YZ250 of Peace
    :Putter:

1whoolie large.JPG

2whoolie 2 large.JPG

7. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Dirt bikes are everywhere in my local FB market place.

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

You guys make me feel better about the XR250 I own. I've had it 6 or 7 years and probably only taken it somewhere to ride 2 times. I do live on 7 acres and ride it around my house a few times a year but that gets boring really quickly. There is no where close that is good to ride so that doesn't help either.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I had a first year SL 125 (think @rd400racer still has one) and that engine config looks identical (real close?). It was a little underpowered but a fun little trail bike that you could put a license plate on.

rd400racer likes this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You live on 7 acres. Yes, there is a good place to ride. You might have to chip away at everything that's not a good place to ride in order to find it, but I guaranty it's there.
    Go rent a bulldozer. :D

969, Once a Wanker.., tsflstb and 2 others like this.
  11. fastfreddie

That bike's 30 years old and still straight. You ain't gonna break it. :cool:

Once a Wanker.. and tsflstb like this.
  12. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Of course that is what I envisioned when we bought this place but there are 100 other priorities that have gotten in the way of that. I also have some smaller dirtbikes (XR100) "for the kids" and I have made a dirt oval to ride on. I've made the oval a couple of times, I ride it for a bit and then it grows over.

13. fastfreddie

Do you need some enthusiastic dickhead friends to come over and do it for ya? :crackup:

Rising, rd400racer and SpeedyE like this.
  14. fastfreddie

Basically what I'm looking to do. 4 minute vid...riding starts ~1:28.

britx303, SpeedyE and Rising like this.
  15. fastfreddie

What's possible?
    Riding starts at 4:00, insanity starts at 6:26.

SpeedyE and Rising like this.
  16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I would invite that. Unfortunately my local motorcycle friends aren't that enthusiastic.

SpeedyE and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  17. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

@SGVRider take the carb off the bike, unscrew the pilot jet and stick a strand of wire through it. If light shines through it it’s clean. Check the float height per the OEM service manual. Put the carb back on the bike. Drain the old fuel out of the tank

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Hell yeah dick!! That looks superfun. Then get a spare set of rims and do indoor flattrack. The littler bikes like that are insanely fun. We run a ttr90 on our home course that wraps around the house to give us a little bit bigger track

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. SpeedyE

Them little bikes are funner than the big bikes! I having more fun ripping my yard up w/ XR100, than any of my big(ger) bikes!!!
    My favorite bike is my xr100!!!

969 likes this.
  20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'll take a YZ over a XR any day, when it comes to maintaining it over long-term, high hours of operation. Many fewer parts overall, and an average home garage mechanic can install a new piston in a clean bike in under 2 hours. Keep a clean air filter and change the transmission oil regularly, drain the carburetor after every ride, and ride it.

A friend in Atlanta is selling his clean and well maintained XR65L, with both dirt and super-moto 17" wheels, if you are looking for one.