1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diesel fule: LSD vs. ULSD

Discussion in 'General' started by tony715, Mar 16, 2007.

1. tony715

tony715 Well-Known Member

just noticed that we have the new ULSD around pittsburgh area. couldn't understand why my gas mileage was getting worse instead of better. stopped at a sunoco with the LSD and my mileage got better with one tank. might just be me but it felt like it ran smoother and quieter.

did you guys notice a difference.

my dodge (cummins) only has 9000 miles so i am only getting 12-14 mpg. with the ULSD 10-12 mpg. and it's friggin 2.89 a gallon

WTF!!!:confused:

p.s kovack give back my trophies you canadian bastard!!

2. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I ran a tankful of the ULS stuff and got better milage.

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Only tried LSD the one time. :eek: Didn't care much for it.

4. tony715

you have a cummins?

how many miles?

5. tony715

so you prefer the new fuel?

how many miles on the vehicle?

6. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Read his post carefully.;)

I have not noticed a difference and I have run a bunch of ULSD. It really doesn't make a difference anyway since everything is going to be or is now ULSD.

I am curious as to how you are coming up with your mileage numbers.

7. tony715

i filled up and reset the mileage indicator. i understand the the ulsd is what we will have but a sunoco in cranberry had the LSD and i didn't realize it til i started pumping. drove from cranberry back to monroeville and mpg was better that when i drove out.

8. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Are you filling up to the same point every tank or just waiting for the pump to click off? I know others have been saying they lost a little mileage but I have not seen it.

9. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

10. sdg

sdg *

I see a LOT more variation than that depending on my right foot and corresponding weekly average level of pissed off.

11. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

The ulsd should not affect your mileage or power. It has basically the same btu factor and cetane number. It also will not eat your fuel system. I know that some people have been having trouble with certain biodiesels eating parts of their fuel systems. With bio it depends on how well the fuel was cleaned of the methenol. The methenol eats rubber parts and can also ruin injector pumps due to it ability to retain water. Ulsd is all that is going to available.

12. joedogR6

joedogR6 Well-Known Member

The ULSD fuel has only slightly lower btu and cetane #'s and in my truck i do notice a slight drop. In older diesels the o-rings seem to be deteriorating from the lack of lubrication in the USLD. Many people myself included run stanadyne additive and that helps. Power service is great too. THe new common rails and 6.4L should only be run on USLD, so no red fuel in these guys!! I have seen my mileage drop from a (hand calculated) 20-21 mpg to a 18-19 mpg but i blame it more on the winter blend then USLD. BTW all stations should be running USLD by now so just the sticker on the pump is giving alot of people the plecebo effect of LSD.

13. Paul1

Paul1 wanting to be fast!!

in metro atlanta area it is USLD and i have not noticed one bit of differance in mileage. it has stayed around 15-17 MPG as the truck has a 4.10 rear end and an owner with a lead foot. i also have not noticed any loss of power either. i have noticed a couple of times i seemed like it sounded different but could just be me thinking things (damn voices in my head!!). for the record 01 ram 2500 cummins with 122K on it.

14. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I have noticed about a 2 mile per gallon drop in my 06 Duramax since the fuel switch. I am pretty pissed off about the extra expense too. I am still coming out ahead if you take the same truck with a gas engine. The guys I feel the worst for is the truckers they must be getting killed at the pumps.

15. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

ULSD should have a HIGHER cetaine # and that is part of the reason why the motors run smoother. In my old 300SD the car ran better and got better mileage when I ran it on the ULSD. I also religiously added half a bottle of PowerService everytime I filled up. ULSD with powerService was like MR9 rather than pump gas.

16. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

I too have noticed about a 2 mpg drop in an 04.5 GMC ., did not even think about the new diesel.. damn...

17. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

I dont no to blame the new fuel or winter blend but I have lost 2mpg in the last 4 months. I friend of mine works at a diesel injector pump overhaul shop. He says injector pumps are dropping like flys and to use some type of fuel lubricity additive. I have an 06 Cummins that uses a common rail pump. On the older style (pre-03) distribution pumps with seals and o-rings go bad especially. Talk to any trucker,you must use some type of lubricity additive (howels,power service etc.) Taking away the sulpher in diesel is like not running oil in a 2-stroke. Its great for the enviroment but kills our wallets in the end.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  18. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

so for the non gas guru.............WTF is "winter blend" gas. Do they mix up fuel differently depending on the season?

19. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

winter blend fuel has additives to help it from gelling or freezing up. But you loose performace on the bad side. Thats why you see or hear #1 and #2 diesel.

20. joedogR6

joedogR6 Well-Known Member

That is also why you should change your fuel filters when the refineries change over to seasonal blends, there is alot of shit stirred up and placed in our fueling stations around that time of year which is why many report fuel problems from bad tanks at the same time every year.