1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deer Tick/Lyme Disease?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cawk Star, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

If I pulled the tick out (head and all) and it was not engorged yet, do I still have to worry about lyme disease?

2. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Spray some Windex on it...:D

You should be fine....

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Are you starting to itch all over?

4. Cawk Star

Nope, just leaking from my wang.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

no worries from lyme...
    the crap that gives you lyme disease is in the bug's digestive system. after it starts feeding, yes, be worried. you have the better part of 24 hours before they get their little digestive juices flowing.

6. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

are you in one of the bad areas? I'm in socal and have had three ticks in the past 2 years from a bunch of mountain biking. When I went in one time to get one taken out that I couldn't get to (middle of back), rare meant zero in the last bunch of years. No lyme disease here, so no problem.

7. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

If a bullseye-type bruise appears at the site in a day or so, see a doc.

8. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Not everyone gets that rash when they are infected. It is common, but not a sure thing.

9. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

or a red circle around the bite....also

but its no joke and really can mess u up

10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I was looking at it as more of a sure sign he should see a doc if one does appear.

Went through it in the mid-90's; the meds sucked. Six weeks with no appetite and dry-heaving. Not fun.

11. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Yep, my youngest (17 yr old) is on her second year fighting it! Keeps showing back up. :down:

12. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

That sucks. Untreated it can be detrimental.

Ticks scare the crap out of me - deer ticks especially since they are small and easy to miss. I tried to make Darren put the bug stuff on the dog but he refuses, Good thing it is too cold for the little fuckers up here now.

13. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Go to the Dr, got one on my ass a few yrs ago from Nelson, that crap screwed me up for and entire year.

14. Cawk Star

It's none of our business what you and Nelson do in your bedroom.

15. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Got bitten a couple weeks ago. Called my Dr and she said she'd call in a 'scrip to cover the next 4-6 weeks....didn't even question anything. 4-6 weeks of medicine without even being sure whether or not I had or have Lyme disease.

Don't mess around.

Watch the documentary "Under Our Skin" if you wanna learn more.

BTW; I'm also in 603. Those little fkers are still out in numbers.

16. Cawk Star

Ok, thanks guys.

17. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

its ova...you're done for...kiss your ass goodbye!

18. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

So you have a big dose of antibiotics and you may not need it.... Then people wonder why they get resistant.

Doesn't sound so smart to me. :Poke:

I live in the high risk area and have had several wood and deer ticks. If you get them off right away you should be fine. Just check yourself over really good everyday before hopping in the shower to be sure you didn't miss any.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I've had Lyme twice, last time (last November) I had the rash, first time I didn't see one.
    The symptom I noticed was feeling very arthritic, especially in upper-body joints.
    The tests are expensive and not conclusive, so pay attention to symptoms.
    Treatment is just antibiotics, minimum of 21 days.
    Lyme is really common in southern NH. It can cause neurological problems if not promptly treated, it's not to be taken lightly.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

...and it's the deer ticks that give you lyme. not dog ticks, brown ticks, etc. or whatever. doesn't mean those others can't carry something else.

btw, yellow sack spiders are now carriers of lyme. they're the yellow-assed ones you'll find runnin' around your woodpile.