1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. I know he did a wild card race last year and got pole position in that race. He was immediately fast. But I cant remember what happened, I was thinking he might of crashed out of the race. Or did he win it? I cant remember, but I know he impressed a lot of people and the announcers were saying they were sure we would see him back in the World paddock soon.

Morales won the CEV Championship, beating Scheib heads up all year. You would think he would get a shot too, but I reckon people would rather go for the younger rider (I believe Morales is either 39 or 40).

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I don't see any big factory money coming back to US motorcycle racing. There is next to no ROI on it. Say what you will about DMG, but they were on the right track with bike parity and having 5+ bikes in every class batting for the win.

3. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I also found out about him watching CEV and was impressed. I agree Morales probably just wanted to hang it up as a champ.

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

You should do it man. From what I gather on here, you have the resources, and the speed to do well as a privateer. And as a fellow (ex) big guy racer, I'd be rootin for you.

flyboy, cajun636 and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

You're gonna have global support Chris. I'd be rootin for you ,too,from the other side of the pond, halfway across the world, Greece. For you and Savvas/Olympus Racing :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. The DMG SS races were some of the best races to watch, ever. I still remember a race at Road America when throughout the whole race the top 10 riders were covered by less than 2 seconds. The lead changed hands in every single corner. It was insane. I cant remember who all was in it. That was when Cory West was on a Gixxer, DiSalvo was on a Triumph along with Fong, im pretty sure Herrin, Zemke and Eslick were in there too. It was insane, and probably the best race I have seen in my life.

7. Shit. I reckon it would be a cool thing to do, at least once. My work schedule is up in the air right now because I am working on various projects in different places, so it is hard to say when I will be off or not. My current R6 is way too far gone to be legal (unless they change the rules to FX). It would cost more to get it back to something resembling SS legal than it would to just prep a new one.

Let me talk to Livengood and see what he says. If im going to prep a new bike from scratch anyway, I could go ahead and build one with the stuff required for Daytona/pit stops. Then it would just be a matter of getting an ASRA license (ive had one in the past, but didn't keep it current), and finding a couple more crew members.

I think it is doable, and I know fitness wouldn't be an issue. I just need to figure out when I can get down there ahead of time and learn the track.

You guys are killing me.....haha.

Scotty87 likes this.
  8. I saw an interview with Morales and from what I gather, he still loves racing (and is obviously very fast). But he doesn't know what options he will have in the future. It may be a case where he doesn't have a choice but retire, unless he wants to pay for a ride. I heard another option is some World Endurance stuff.

I am sure he could run up front in MA, provided he was on a good team/bike (like say if Graves fielded a 3rd R1).

Bruce likes this.
  9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

You have a 675R... And honestly, you won't need a front, just a rear and gas. That whole set up for that, quick change and tank fill can be had under $1500. Livengood will thank you for the rear quickchange. And really what it takes to mod the tank and get the fast fast quick change will save you about 5-8 seconds opposed to leaving the tank stock.

Jug of which you could sell directly after for getting the majority of the cost back
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...-fill-system?gclid=CMH3y_b5gNMCFY4kgQodnaIGOw

Rear quick change. I talked to Frank at Daytona. Super nice guy and the equipment is top notch.

http://shop.fastfrankracing.com/675R-Rear-Quick-Change-Daytona-200-Winner-T67504.htm

Dooooooooo it. Go in October and learn the track, then go back in March. Its REALLY a simple track to learn. And as far as the drafting goes, they are coming by with drafting if you are 5'2" or 6'2". Doesn't matter.

Gino230 and Scotty87 like this.
  10. Holy shit, I totally forgot about having the 675R. Haha. Ive been talking/thinking about the R6 a lot lately, that I forgot about that bike. :D

Thanks for those links. It might not be too much trouble after all.

11. Scotty87

BTW, why weren't you more vocal about running it? I read it on here last minute and looked for you during the race, but then I saw on timing and scoring that you were like 37 laps down or some shit. :Poke::D

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Exactly. And no there they are more gab capable bc of the tq getting drive on to the banking.

It was a VERY last minute decision. I got sick and had to pull off half way through. I'll be out next year and finish it for sure.

Gino230 likes this.
  13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

First world problems

14. Haha, shutup. :moon:

backcountryme likes this.
  15. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

That would be pretty cool....but imagine if he scored a podium....that post race interview would last an hour....they'd have to make him send a tweet! Lol

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. Scotty87

Damn man, that sucks.

Best of luck next year. I'm thinking about going down there next year to watch it live, and put fingerprints all over Broome's bike.

cajun636 likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

Ducti89 likes this.
  18. Scotty87

My bad, I forgot. I'll pay Livengood to put fingerprints all over Broome's bike.

19. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

we can start a budget funding thread here on wera, (after asking mongo's approval)... donate X amount of dollars get your name/ signature on the bike. have a wrap made with the sponsor names (like graffiti). if you donate enough money, you can poop in the death star, while watching the race in it. :D Ski

cajun636 and flyboy like this.
  20. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

1. Was that the year Miguel Duhamel finished the race without his visor (shield)?

2. I think Ricky Orlando did a sponsor thing like that to get more laps around Daytona a few years ago that worked for him.