1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dakar 2023

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Dec 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Critter

Critter Registered

Yes he is riding with Ondrej as a navigator, looks like the had a tough day one or two but results are tough to find for that class as they take a completely different route, it's kinda like the AHRMA vintage stuff, cars from the 80's

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've been checking results here - https://www.dakar.com/en/rankings They were 78th after stage 1, got p10 in stage two and jumped to 67th, then it looks like p5 stage 3 but no points listed so no update to the overall rankings yet.

He posted a video to his fb page but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Flooding in the desert.

How bout those classics though?

[​IMG]

BigBird and 418 like this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The word "classics" implies old and outdated. That is hurtful. Please use "distinguished".

Steeltoe, Once a Wanker.. and BigBird like this.
  5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

6. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'm confused, after watching the recap show of stage 4. 574.01 km in 04H 28' 18''?? That's over 79 mph average, with them clearly shown frequently in slower, difficult terrain. Must be lots of long, fast stretches they rarely show footage of. Fun to follow, so far this year.

7. Critter

Critter Registered

Stage 4 was shortened due to inclement weather. There was flooding on the course...Typically desert races are around 45-60 MPH average. Depending all kinds of stuff

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Please keep posting here @Critter. Terrific to have your insight.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

There's a RedBull highlight vid on Youtube that shows the flooded river crossings.

10. Critter

Critter Registered

Edit, I am traveling on business so I bit out of touch, I think it was stage 3 shortened so if stage 4 went the distance yesterday than that was really fast let me check on that, 79 MPH average on a stage is quick it that is correct

11. Once a Wanker..

They showed two Lightweight Prototype quads, one being Christina Gutierrez Herrero, getting pulled out of a raging desert water crossing by some big trucks and mentioned that the stage was shortened for much of the field on Tuesday night's Stage 3 recap show.
    Daniel Sanders mentioned on last evening's Stage 4 recap broadcast that the rains overnight had washed away tracks in the sand, so opening the stage was difficult for him to navigate. Mason had caught and passed him, and was the first to re-fuel, as I understood. Sucked that he got some bad gas when he did, but he just said that's what happens when you lead the Dakar Rally, or something to that effect.

12. Once a Wanker..

Another great day for Howes and Klein. Howes now leads the bike class overall, with Klein in 4th, OA. Sanders was sick this morning, and lost a bunch of time.

The first paragraph of this Cycle News update explains how my speed average calculations may be inaccurate:
    "A demanding 645 km Stage 5 with 373 km of timed special greeted the riders at the Dakar Rally today and it was Adrien Van Beveren who made the most of it, the Frenchman scoring his first win in the factory Honda colors."
    Not all of the distance listed for every day is timed, I now remember. I knew they had 'transfer' sections on many days, but was unaware that perhaps the Rally includes these untimed sections in the stage mileage listed for their standings. Time on the transfer sections does not count, but speeding penalties still do, I believe.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2023/01/article/2023-dakar-rally-results/

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

How did two SxS hit each other head on in all that big ole desert?

14. Critter

Critter Registered

They are SXS racers, as a general rule of thumb, think clubman novice except for some of the top drivers

5axis, Once a Wanker.. and renegade17 like this.
  15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I don’t know how I just discovered the sidecar class this year. That is an extra level of Wut?

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Whenever I see SxS guys it reminds me of drunken frat boys on jet skis at Havasu. Partially blindfolded. And really drunk.

So maybe 600cc novice is a better comparison??

17. Critter

Critter Registered

Ah yes the timed vs total, that will do it.....and I did not bother to do the math.....lol

18. Letitsnow

Letitsnow Well-Known Member

I used to go to the dunes often to ride dirt bike - now you can barely even ride there. Every dipshit with a credit line and a pulse has a $40,000 sxs out in the sand, ripping it to fuck while doing basically nothing. Head on collision doesn't surprise me one bit.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!