Cycling dudes...

Discussion in 'General' started by d-wire, Dec 6, 2011.

1. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

Alright...all you roadies in the bbs....

Just got home from a 50 mile solo ride....and my ACL in my left knee is SORE!! I do a lot of 25-30 mile rides...and it got sore around 40 miles. In there something I can adjust on the bike, or is it cause I suck?? :D

Thanks
    Sean

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

sounds like itb inflamation. Google it and there are stretches to help. mine was caused because my saddle was to low

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Sean,
    How long have you been riding? Were you properly fit when you bought your bike? Regardless, may want to take it to your LBS, explain what you're feeling, and see if a re-fit is in order.

4. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I would look into your seating position (height as well as fore & aft position) and depending if you have clipless pedals (your cleats) you may need to look into having those adjusted.

The mileage you rode compounded the problem.

6. onepusher

And yes a good fit makes a big difference.

Greg Combs is the man when it comes to fitting a bike to you.

http://www.velosmart.com/

7. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

Ive been riding on/off.... but mostly on....for about 3-4 yrs. I'll usually do 3 or 4 rides a week...and like I said around 30 miles. I have SPD? pedals....I think they are really for mountain biking. Recently, a guy suggested that I lower my seat 5mm because I was "bouncing" in the seat.... After I did, my wife says my cadence looks the same, I still "bounce". Maybe I should go back to the higher seat position...

I was fitted for the bike when I bought it years ago...maybe I should get refitted

8. onepusher

9. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

joe...googled that itb inflammation...that sounds like it.

10. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

you shouldnt be bouncing in the seat, the seats prob still to high.

11. James Bayles

James Bayles Well-Known Member

Where do ride Sean? I need someone to ride with, 25-30 is my normal too, rode to the Stuart air show from Palm Beach a couple of weeks ago, same thing at about the 40 mile mark started to hurt my knee, I think I just still suck at it. PM me if you want to ride sometime.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

If your hips are "rocking" or "bouncing" it sounds as though your seat is too high. Your hips should be stationary when pedaling.

13. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

I'm down James....I usually ride from Juno to Hobe Sd and back ...by the beach

14. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

cool...I guess I'll go and get the fitment checked and HTFU!

15. ton

ton Arf!

very likely a saddle position issue exacerbated by a longer than normal ride. how's your achilles tendon? often also aggravated by similar positioning issues...

16. onepusher

:up:

17. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

Rocking is seat too high. Bouncing is usually seat too low or poor pedal stroke. There is a difference between rocking (rolling back and forth on the seat to reach) and bouncing. IT band issues can be caused by both seat height or cleat placement. If the cleat is too far to the outside of your foot, you can be applying uneven pressure in your pedal stroke.

If you are bouncing, you need to engage your glutes more. You are using your quads to push, but not engaging your hamstrings & glutes to pull up on the stroke. You want your ass to clamp down on that seat so you are evenly pulling and pushing on each pedal stroke. A good drill to fix it is to spin as fast as you can until you start bouncing, then back off until you stop bouncing and hold it there for 2-3 minutes. Each time try to increase the cadence a bit more before you start to bounce.

18. RR EH

RR EH Member

Agree totally with the fitment. Get it done and do a full fit too not just a quick guy in the bike shop looks and measures three things and makes changes.

A true fit and measurement will also look at your pedal stroke and see if you need any shims in you cleats.

From what you are describing (and I am not Dr.) sounds like your seat is too low and you may need to get foot position adjusted.

Good Luck, there is nothing worse than pain while riding.

Ed

19. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Step #1...get a good fit.

20. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Sean it could be seat height and forward/aft ..... a little higher and more forward.....could also be cleat placement.Where are the cleats?You want the ball of the foot over the spindle,better if you can get it a touch forward.I'll be riding Saturday if you want some help come on down.