1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CROSSFIT

Discussion in 'General' started by WANABE RACER, Feb 20, 2017.

1. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

As far as injuries... risk of injury always goes up with activity. Crossfit is a shitload of activity. If you lift within your abilities, pay a lot of attention to technique, keep up with stretching or yoga etc, and check your ego... you can manage the risk pretty well.
    There is risk from sitting on your ass drinking beer and eating like shit too...

Fitness and results wise... It'll give you a good base fitness. You'll likely end up with some muscle and some cardio and you'll constantly be sore. It won't make you amazing at any one thing, but it'll give you a good base. The guys throwing around big weight do a lot of extra lifting and the guys running 5:30 miles run more than just in crossfit. There are a lot of movements like kipping pull ups, which guys love to make fun of, that are meant to blow up your heart rate and tax you in a different way than just doing strict pull ups. Apples and oranges.

It is addictive... and fun...

You can gain more muscle just straight strength training at a normal gym than in crossfit imo... But if you get caught up in being a meathead in Lafitness... you'll get arm pump on the bike and gas in races. Just my $.02

Kolbe likes this.
  2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I laughed so hard during that video. "What kind of fitness chick are you" was hilarious too.

4. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Be careful with any program that stresses reps over form. Google "CrossFit and Lawsuit" sometime. It can be good, when done properly. I have seen it give good results. I have lost some 40-something bored housewives from my boot camp that went to CrossFit and have done well. I have seen some pretty good injuries from CF, but then again, high intensity training no matter what you do has that as a significant consequence.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Ha Ha! I've been lifting ever since I was in middle school, and somehow, I never knew what a bumper plate was. I assumed those thick plates were heavier plates, not rubber. Just the other day somebody I know posted a photo of himself deadlifting what looked like 900lbs (I was assuming they were double thick 45's so they must be 90's). I looked the big plates up to see how heavy there were. VIOLA! Bumper plates. Dude is a pussy :D

6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Isn't it just a really expensive cult? I thought I heard somewhere that it cost a fortune to join one of those gyms. I go to LAfitness and it's $20 month. If I go at least 12 times a month, I get reimbursed 20 from insurance so for me it's free...can't beat that.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

My wife wanted to join one of the local ones here. It's like $200/mo. For that much money, you'd lose weight solely because there was nothing left to buy groceries with!

Phl218 and WANABE RACER like this.
  8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

That looks like closer to 205-225 or so (Bar = 45, Inner plates = 45, Middle plates = likely 25, Outer plates = 10).

I did Crossfit for a while, and still incorporate some of it into workouts. I liked it. What I didn't like was the ever ratcheting expense - $100 a month is now $150 at the same gym I used to go to. It is NOT personal training either. The class was always packed.

But, what broke me was when the Advocare bullshit started. The gym owner invited Advocare one day and then it really became like a cult. I was done after that.

9. shakazulu12

The co-founder of Crossfitt (current owners ex-wife) actually works out at my MMA gym. Doesn't do Crossfit.............

10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I just googled kipping pullup, I thought it was something like a gymnastics kip, just seems like a rushed pullup, not much kip involved.

11. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Never saw one fat person ride a dirt bike.

Just did two days of trails and supercross tracks, an intermediate and national track.

What an awesome workout.

12. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

A box converted to strength and conditioning sounds ideal. There's so much wrong with crossfit, the sponsors and their products, competing in 'the games', deadlifts for time, 20km row for time, running around other people lifting, there's too much to write about. It's almost a shame because if they turned the stupid dial down from 11 to say 7 or 8, it would be pretty good. I did it for a year, then trained solo in my garage gym with some structure and PR'd within a few weeks on all lifts. I also started modifying their workouts to suit my goals instead, but in the end just did my own thing. It's good conditioning from random workouts that works best if you turn your brain off, because once you have the awakening of 'wtf is going on here?? How is this good for me?? What are we training towards??', you may as well leave.

Wingnut likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It wasn't always like that. IIRC, it started as a functional strength workout for cops and military.

14. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I'm a vegan, cross-fitting, pilot....not sure what I should brag to you about first?

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

If you hate your rotator cuff tendons, do the kipling pullups. Ask any ortho surgeon where they get most of their business from. (Hint-It's from stupid crossfit exercises)

StaccatoFan and Shenanigans like this.
  16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Draik has been going a few weeks now. He goes to a gym that is privately owned by a family we are friends with. My wife went in the first time he went and made it very clear that he needs to stay lean, work on his endurance and strength but not bulk up. He was already pretty slim and had good tone but now, you'd never guess he was my kid, hes getting cut and seems to really enjoy the work outs. We had heard to stories and know of the injury potential but that was another reason the wife went in to check it out and make the goals clear (especially not getting hurt).

WANABE RACER likes this.
  17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm a big crossfit dork. I don't need to say much because Dwyer pretty much covered it.

The big thing is to just pace yourself. It's a lot of work and a lot of movements that you won't be used to. There are good and bad gyms, and a good one will emphasize technique. Oly lifts can get you hurt if you get careless.

There are a lot of annoying crossfitters, but they're still less annoying than crossfit haters. Crossfit doesn't have a "bad rap", but it does have a really vocal group of detractors armed with memes and three lame crossfit jokes they repeat every chance they get.

There may be some sketchy shit going on at a minority of Crossfit gyms, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the fuckery I witness every time I wind up at a typical bro gym.

Kolbe, WANABE RACER and JTW like this.
  18. shakazulu12

:D:D

[​IMG]

19. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Bro crossfit and a Paleo Diet = Gainz.
    :cool:

Those in the cult cant see that they are and therefore everyone else is a "hater" to them.
    :D

Ride safe,
    AAron

TurboBlew and WANABE RACER like this.
  20. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

I think it's good. When I did it I didn't have enough muscle to worry about hurting myself so I was okay. It's a motivator which is good. To me, there was a manufactured comradery which I didn't like, but find the right place with the right attitude, decide what you want to do and don't get goaded into something that you know is bad for you specifically, and it's a good thing.