1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRASHED 1ST RACE 2 RACES TO GO DO I GO OR DO I STAY

Discussion in 'General' started by AnthonyDuc, Dec 31, 2000.

1. AnthonyDuc

AnthonyDuc Well-Known Member

YOU just crashed at the GNF some guy on an SV T-bones you in the side.Your really hurting the world dosen't seem to look like it did earlier that day.You've got this great group of guys that are willing to sacrfice watching the racing that they drove nearly 300 miles to see to help put your bike bike together in 30min. time. What do you do? Do you race or no. [​IMG]

2. Jep46

Jep46 Active Member

Short of a bone hanging out of your leg-race.

3. AnthonyDuc

well what I was geting at was the OL noodle seemed to be shaken up abit.I went back out but should I have or was I putting other riders in danger?

4. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

You would know, Jep, now wouldn't you. Hell, I crashed 3 times at the GNF...thats racing. They make safety wire and duct tape just for that purpose.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a personal call - if you hit your head I'd say stay in the paddock. If it was nervousness or just plain scared then sometimes it's better to get back on the horse.

6. VitoDuc19

VitoDuc19 MIA

If there is a guy on a slow Duc or Aprilia in the same race, you sit it out, so he can move up one position... [​IMG] Vito

7. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

I know what you mean. Ya know how they say 90% of racing is mental? I always go thru this phase where I'm totally bummed out and am ready to just quit and go home. You just can't look at things objectively and positively (i wonder if its a physiological reaction to coming off the adreinalin high of the crash?) Luckily there is usually someone, my girlfriend or the guy pitting nextdoor to get my head back into the game. Thats why I always try do the same when I pick someone outta the dirt...

8. AnthonyDuc

Every body needs that pat on the back after crashing but sometimes it can get the adrenaline to flowing again which could lead you in the wrong direction.Do you do the how many fingers am I holding up thing or what?

9. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Get back on that horse and ride. You have to show it who's the boss.

10. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Are we the ones to make that decision? Slight was kept off a bike until a docotor and FIM said he could ride again.
    I think after a blow to the head someone else should be making those decisions for us.
    The FIM is too strict for racing at the Pro-Am level but I believe that at the least the paramedics at the track should certify you are able to race again or something to that effect. I don't want to be on the track with someone taht has double vision just so they can stay in the points chase; that's not safe for him or me.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We keep track of the head hits as best we can, our problem is that while a rider may be acting totally normal they could still have a concussion. Without a portable MRI there is no way to tell so we fake it the best we can and hope that the riders team will notice anything that we don't.

12. AnthonyDuc

Thanks for your reply ,that makes more sense than anything else I've heard so far.

13. Critter

Critter Registered

I learned a long time ago that when you fall off you better get right back on or you may never get back up to speed I got my bell wrand really good at summit this year and i forced myself to get back on the bike the following weekend at roebling because i was scared that if I did not get back on the bike right away I might get a right hand syndrom that would want to shut the gas off to soon everytime i went into a corner the trick is to ride again asap so you can shrug it off and get back up to speed

14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

when i pick up someone in the crash truck i have to talk to them to see where to take them. if they seem loopy ill take them to the meds. and leave them there. and run and hide with their bike. just kidding. i then take their bike to the tech shed. then they have to get past the med. types ang then has to go talk to tony to get his bike back. if they can fake all that, they are ok.

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

critter did you ever find those little animals you were looking for?

16. gocr6

gocr6 i fall down....

hey critter, long time. what have you been up to?

17. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

my last race i broke a finger on lap 2 of a 6 hour endurance. [​IMG]
    sat in the pits for an hour and watched my finger swell, even took myleathers off. a little voice in my head said grab the duct tape, re tech and ride. I did, and i turned my fastest time ever after the crash. i don't think my next outting would have gone well if i didn't get back on the horse.
    what's the old saying, bones heal and chicks dig scars.

18. AnthonyDuc

I hear you man,thats a great story.When I crashed some said I should race some said I should not.Well I did an had my best finish of the GNF.SO chicks dig scares man I've gotta try that. THANKS

19. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Concussions are nothing to fool around with. The damage can be cumulative, especially if you hit your head again a short time later. There was a guy I knew who crashed and hit his head twice in one weekend and became comatose and didn't recover. I've seen some guys run really good races after whacking their heads, but I've seen other guys who couldn't even find their truck after hitting their head. It won't do you any good to "get back on the horse" if you don't even know where you are. In Tex's case, a non-head-injury, maybe that's different. But in November 1995 I had a huge crash in turn nine at Willow, bike jumped up and down on my head, I was out of my mind (concussion) and I broke my collarbone (for the 6th time). In January 1996 I came back out and didn't do very well. But by April I was rollin' again, won a National Challenge Series race at Road Atlanta and went on to win the 1996 WERA 125cc Grand Prix National Challenge Series Championship. So the must-get-back-on-at-once theory does not always apply.

If you get a concussion you have to rely on others with you to figure it out, so here's hoping that if you show up alone, you don't hit your head.

JU

20. AnthonyDuc

THANKS for the cocern.There is one thing that I do believe in an thats not going alone atleast I hope I don't have to.But I would hope that if I did the fellow racers would put a stop to me going back out if I wasn't in my right mind.CONGRADS ON YOUR CHAMPIONSHIP KEEP IT UP!!!!!! [​IMG]