1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I want to escape it, not pursue it. (That reminds me of an old joke I'll put over in the legitimate joke thread.)

2. I never said it was. But it is a lot easier to say "the sky isn't always falling"....after you have learned it didn't fall.

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

The only retort I have to this is that there are PLENTY of people on here that were saying from the get-go this was overkill and a giant nothing. They aren’t using hindsight. They were right from the very start. I get why the elected officials went into “oh shit” mode, but it didn’t make sense then and it makes even less sense not to walk it back and correct it quickly now that facts are coming forward.

Metalhead and baconologist like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Interesting thing they've been talking about here: they have gathered enough data now to notice a definite difference between smokers and non-smokers admitted into ICU. Smokers have a much better survival rate. Doctors are wondering if it's the nicotine blocking the receptors that the virus would normally attach itself to on cells.

Chino52405 likes this.
  5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They weint into to "Ohh shit" mode becasue they were in the age band that resulted in the most dirt naps. That was self preservation...not country preservation.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  6. If nobody knows anything and has no data to go off of, then it is nothing but a guess.

It is easy to say something is overkill and a giant nothing, when you don't have to answer for the outcome...and your only repercussion is that you had an incorrect assumption on a motorcycle forum.

With that being said, I do agree that they should have started opening things up a long time ago. Especially in the smaller cities and rural areas. Hell there are still counties in many states with 0 cases. Why in the fuck are there still businesses closed in places like that?

Slider82 and scottn like this.
  7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Did you also see the study out of USC on the actual “infected” data. Out of 863 people who they tested bloodwork on, 4% showed antibodies already. That would mean that some 200k - 400k just in LA County would have already had it without knowing. Do the math for the rest of the country and the fatality rate of this starts looking really weak. Interesting study.

baconologist likes this.
  8. One of the thread tags is "tiny boogeyman". :crackup:

Senna and baconologist like this.
  9. Venom51

That's mine...

baconologist and Gorilla George like this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Does it spread through the rest of the country as widely as it does in LA, though?

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

But when you crash the economy because you're certain the sky is falling then you better
    have a damn good explanation. And you should keep your mouth shut in the future.

It was not impossible to see what was going on with the virus early on if you shut out the
    calls to panic and looked at the facts and compared what was happening to what has
    happened historically. It quickly became apparent that they were defaulting to
    worst-case scenarios every time and then exaggerating those to increase the panic.

The reaction to this virus was unprecedented and the number of fatalities was
    remarkable only to those who never paid attention to how deadly flu season is every year.
    Weeks ago it became obvious that Covid-19 is about as contagious and deadly as H1N1
    and we didn't shut down the country for that.

If they are going to claim that the shutdown prevented over 2 million deaths in the US
    then they need to prove that. Correlation isn't causation.

baconologist likes this.
  12. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I can see a case being made at the very start of this for a national one week shelter in place to address the perceived severity of the threat and establish local guidelines. Instead, the hardest hit areas and at risk areas made sweeping decisions and the lack of any directive, while actual virus data was/is unknown, allowed pressure to be placed on all people in local authority and all covered their asses by following suit. The shitshow we're left with now is a direct result of a lack of leadership and anxiety. But, the threat is also real and virus is not "the flu" so how do we start to untangle this mess? I'm in Chicago and hope and expect that the state of Illinois can open before Cook county, but how does that get enforced? My ass is definitely headed to Road America if there's trackdays again in WI. Looks like that won't be an issue either place until at least June anyway so - back to conference calls while feeding and entertaining little kids.

13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I don't remember 46,000 people dying of H1N1 in a little over six weeks.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

thanks to the administration to put my green card application on hold, so close before admission. and my personal apologies for stealing all of your jobs.

15. Ive laughed a lot more at that shit than I probably should have. It’s funny as hell to me for some reason. :D

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was wondering if it was for a new application only, or for ongoing ones. I guess that's my answer. You're just getting delayed a couple of months, right?

17. Venom51

It's funny becasue you live in a society that likes to repeatedly state how advanced they are, how much they understand about everything around them and how that allows them to have "control" over everything. Then along comes something, they can't even see, that sends them running for their cave.

Steeltoe and baconologist like this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, I'm listening to someone talking about it again and I got that wrong: it's not survival rate, it's people who require hospitalization in the first place. Much lower among smokers. They are less likely to develop serious symptoms.

19. Nah, I don’t think that’s it. My laughter at it has nothing to do with anything near that deep.

I think it’s just because the words “tiny boogeyman” are funny to me.

20. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

https://www.qeios.com/read/article/574

This is what i just read if it related to what you're hearing. Basically the abstract says 25% of France smokes daily. Only 4.5-5.5% of inpatient and outpatient covid patients are daily smokers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.