1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But the numbers of one are bigger so be more skeert :D

baconologist likes this.
  2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Obviously I've heard it more from the healthcare side from my wife, although she's simply not practicing very much with her specialty, but I keep telling her the economic fallout alone will blow this away in the long run. You start factoring in suicide, domestic violence, increased crime from stupid unemployment levels, etc...you can basically take any of the data and twist it into whatever fits your narrative.

galloway840 and baconologist like this.
  3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Those graphs mimic the number of tests being administered. When there was no testing, it didn't look like it was spreading fast. The more tests administered, the more infected people found. Doesn't mean it's spreading faster. This should be common sense by now regarding how the testing impacts what looks like an out of control virus.

Shocker and baconologist like this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Common sense isn't so common. It's currently harder to find than the beerSARS.

galloway840, baconologist and Kris87 like this.
  5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Sorry, I posted before I read this, but yes you're correct. If anyone doesn't think that a very high % of kids in school were actually infected with this in March is wrong. There were cases dating back to November and December of unexplained pneumonia like symptoms that pulmonologists were baffled by and just labeled as pneumonias. This thing has been here much longer than we think.

galloway840 and baconologist like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For those curious about the infection rates per day go to the graph at the bottom of the page https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Yes this also based ONLY on testing results so it is not remotely close to the true umber of infected but but as for how many actually infected each day it's probably the same up and down levels. Granted with this affecting more older folks than younger there could be nursing home infections and old folks hoods infections that could cause a spike in this graph without a corresponding spike in the real infection numbers.

7. Fuckinhell. You come in out of the blue and pick the silliest shit to argue about. Hell, they weren’t even my numbers. I quoted them from someone else that looked it up.

No damn shit that’s the number of confirmed cases via testing. You need to make your mind up. One minute you are saying we have to deal with facts and what we know, not speculations. Then when somebody posts factual numbers, you argue that point by using speculations.

It is spreading, and has been spreading faster as more people get it. That is common damn sense.

If there is a crowd of 10,000 people, and I roam around the crowd with grease all over me and my hands, a certain number of people will leave with grease on them from contacting me.

But if 100 people covered in grease circulate around the same crowd, many more people will leave with grease on them.

You are acting as if we (the US) spontaneously had 400,000 people infected simultaneously, but we just didn’t know it because they weren’t tested...and it is only now we are testing them and finding out.

As far as when exactly it came here, the CDC says January 15 was the first confirmation cases. Is it possible that it was here before then, of course. But even if it was, it still started with 1 or a few people having it, then it spread to others. The more people that got it, the more it spread.

8. So again, you are saying that we spontaneously had hundreds of thousands of people infected all over the country, simultaneously?

No shit more testing will reveal more positive confirmations. But that doesn’t change the fact that the damn people got infected somehow.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lets try this - what exactly specifically is your point when you post that the confirmed case numbers are going up?

Are you posting obvious things just to post them?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one has said any such thing.

What was your point about the first confirmed case? Why did you post that tidbit?

11. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Not selling anything, I was just offering a glimpse of what's being done to enable proper care of covid-19 patients and prevent hospital acquired infections from the same. Yes. Seasonal norm. Critical care is well above average. Seasonal norm.

Again, I'm not selling anything. Its important to remember that while we've seen the number of cases increasing from a few weeks ago, most people who have tested positive are either recovered or are recovering at home. Also note that some patients tested positive multiple times, hence the discrepancy in the totals.

Also, he is a miserable fuck, it his MO and its not breaking news.:D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  12. I was agreeing with the guy who posted the numbers illustrating how fast it is spreading, now that more people have it.

It took weeks to reach over 500k cases (worldwide), then it went from 500k to 1.2mil in a week.

Is that because testing is becoming more common? Well of course. You can’t have confirmed cases without testing.

But it is also simple logic that the more people walking around with something highly contagious, the faster it will spread.

5,000 people around the globe with something contagious, it will take a while to get big numbers. 500,000 contagious people will cause those numbers to climb faster. I don’t see how anyone can argue that.

13. Im not talking rates, I’m talking sheer numbers.

Like the trick where you take a penny and double it every day. It won’t be shit for a while, by the end of the month you are in the millions. The rate stayed the same (doubled), but the numbers grow quickly as the rate is applied to higher and higher numbers.

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Argh! Whatever point you are trying to make, stop saying faster. It is not accelerating, it is proliferating.

OGs750 likes this.
  15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

16. Someone else said (in a factual manner) that it has been here since Nov or Dec. I said the CDC disagrees, and posted their link stating such.

If you disagree, then contact the CDC.

As far as the “point”, nobody in here is making any points that accomplish or change a damn thing. We are having a discussion because it is interesting, and affects a lot of us.

Not every post has to be some paradigm shifting revelation. It is just a conversation.

17. Lawd Hammercy. Now you are arguing semantics.

If someone says “the numbers are growing fast”, everybody and their dog will know what is meant by that statement.

18. sdg

sdg *

I think it has been here since September/August.

In Your Corner and Kris87 like this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dammit! I sent him a video of a sneezing owl. I had him on the verge of forgetting that this thread exists. :mad:

R Acree and Gorilla George like this.
  20. I’m pretty sure I had it in high school.

Sabre699, MachineR1 and galloway840 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.