1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copart advice

Discussion in 'General' started by tony 340, Nov 10, 2018.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

So i found a car i want to buy on copart.

Texas has it titled as flood damaged non repairable parts only.

Copart has it listed as runs and drives

If i buy it and get it to Michigan could i have it inspected and re titled as a salvage title?

Ive had 2 buddies tell me go for it.

Ive had 2 buddies tell me to pass

https://www.copart.com/lot/48400308

jasonhise likes this.
  2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Looks like the bin is 55k so that is usually where the reserve is close to.

No way I would f with a sketchy title for that kind of coin.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Do not touch!
    I can’t think of a legal way to put that back on the road.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what does a similar non damaged /clear title unit go for? Also with Copart you will love the fees that are added on after the sale completes. :D

5. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

If you want to make a track or race car out of it sure.

Street car? Nope.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Might depend on what TX actually puts on the title. If its just "salvage" you might be able to do it in MI. If it says something like junk or scrap doesnt sound like you cna in MI.

I know some states are easier to retitle salvage in, and there used to be some ways to 'clean' the title by doing something like moving the title between a few different states based on how they label the titles. dont know if its still possible.

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1587_1588-76394--,00.html

7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Probably have to do some digging on MI laws. Here in the Wisco, salvage titles are no big deal. It reduces resale value of course, but other than that there’s no issues. I have a buddy who buys flood damaged or otherwise salvaged sports cars on pretty much a yearly basis. Gets him into cars that he couldn’t normally afford.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We have had about 600 of these cars run through our inventory so far. I'd stay far away from a flood vehicle period, not too sure on how it goes from state to state for title branding. It sounds to me, in my opinion that it would be a lot of trouble if not possible to get that title branded as a rebuilt vehicle again.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

That car is probably heading out of the US

Sent from my smatrfone

10. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

generally flood cars that get a branded title, as parts only, are not able to be restored, and inspected, and replaced to everyday commuter use.

most insurance companies made this a policy (to make sure a flood car couldnt get back on the road) after sandy, and katrina.

too many people, inland of the storms, not knowing about the history of the auto, getting "new" cars, only to find out they had been in water over the electronics, and the gremlins start coming.

the insurance company i work for wont let the owner retain the salvage after an auto is deemed total loss from flood. the title is auto branded as flood, scrap, parts only. also, we changed our policy on deeming an auto a total, after water exposure. it used to be if the water touched the bottom of the dash (where the fuse box and electronics used to be). NOW, it is if the water touches the carpet (where all of the electronics for air bags, crash avoidance ect... are), it is an AUTOMATIC TOTAL LOSS. they do not want to be married to the auto, with the liability of safety features failing.

Tony... SERIOUSLY, YOU DO NOT WANT THIS CAR, YOU DONT NEED THE HEADACHES THAT COME WITH THEM. depending on when the flood happened, that car could be sitting with water in the interior for MONTHS, water, rust, will be the least of your worries... mold, health issues, electronic gremlins for the REST OF THE AUTOS LIFE, THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR, BECAUSE, WARRANTEE WILL NOT COVER IT.

not to mention, even by some small miracle IF you could get it inspected and rated for the road, at THE VERY BEST, it would have a salvage title, and worth half of what the same auto would be with a clean title. then you have resale to think about... what happens when someone does a title search, and finds it was flood totaled auto, and restored? it will be a tough sell, you will have to give it away, or own it for LIFE.

you have been warned. Ski

BigBird and neckbrace like this.
  11. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

I bought a flood car and got it back on the road. new electrical problems daily after that. never again.

12. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

How does one purchase from copart? License needed?

13. Way too much hassle for that much coin.

14. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

You pay 300 to 400 bucks fro a licensed bidder to buy it for you.
    Not sure anymore on the prices,but that was what it was for getting a bike

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

After watching several Utube videos of kids rebuilding awesome cars bought from there I did a little poking around and it seems like SOME of their locations you can buy without a brokers license.....I went on their site and they have a link you can click that searches only those locations.

Or as someone hinted, contact a broker and see what they'll charge to buy it for you.

Never heard of this Copart before watching a video of a dude who bought his life long dream sportscar.....a '10 Audi R8.....interesting set of video's of him attempting to rebuild/fix the car.....it's a work in progress so it'll be interesting to see if he pulls it off.

I DID watch a pair of early 20'ish yo kids buy a '15 or '16 Z06 with front end damage, the main frame was cracked in front of the engine mounts (between the engine and front bumper)....watching them fix it was slightly comical but man, I was impressed on what appeared to be an OK fix, at the end the car looked great.....still wondering what they paid for the car tho...

Turns out this is a popular thing??? Man, I'm getting old.....there are a bunch of video's of people doing this on Utube.

16. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Pass that thing like the plague!! The headaches you're asking for if you do buy it. But maybe for our entertainment you actually should buy it.

17. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Also, Do you ahve to have that late model Viper...arent the earlier versions that much, or less, not from a flood?

19. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Those YouTube kids have buddies with a frame shop and a paint booth so it’s not as easy as it looks unless you too have friends like they do.

BigBird likes this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wait... youtube isnt reality??? :D