1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant Question: How to keep the motor from freezing?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by randomwalker, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes it does.

2. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

I thought it was down to -20* that it protects?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think it's closer to -25 but yeah, it's propylene glycol and it is an antifreeze.

4. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

Fill it with oil, it will NEVER freeze!

5. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up. I was figuring that was the case so now it's time to flush the system...

6. gerber100

gerber100 Well-Known Member

What if your at the track and over night it drops down below freezing, would it be ok to leave the water and water wetter in there over night, or should you fully drain, run coolant in it, then re-drain the next morning and add water and wetter?

7. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

The water wetter will freeze... don't ask how I know.:Puke:

8. gerber100

gerber100 Well-Known Member

Lol thanks for the info!

9. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Can we use Cycle Logic engine ice?

10. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Nope

11. primo

primo Well-Known Member

F@ck. lol :eek:

12. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

Its good enough for the AMA but not you guys, what gives? :Poke:

Agreed on what others have said, don't store it all winter with water or water mix's, it will freeze and corrode even though its not supposed to. Don't leave empty either. If your racing where its cold enough to freeze, warm it up or have a heater handy and wrap with a down comforter, :p

13. randomwalker

randomwalker Well-Known Member

I had a slightly different experience:

I took the Ed Bargy class on March 12 and drove from St. Louis to TGPR with my bike on an open trailer. The weather was warm enough when I left St. Louis (mid 50s) but as I got closer and closer to Talladega, the weather became colder and colder. As night fell and I was still driving, the temperature dipped below 32 several times. I suppose I could have pulled over and drained out the water wetter I had in the radiator, but I didn't do that. Have you ever seen that episode in Seinfeld when Kramer takes a car out of a lot for a test drive and then keeps driving beyond the empty fuel warning sign, just to see how far he can go? Well then you know exactly how I felt. I finally reached my destination hotel and parked the open trailer overnight. The next morning I drove to TGPR and as I drove, I noticed that the temperature again flirted with 31 and 32. I finally reached TGPR, unloaded the bike at the track and started her up. A drum roll here would be appropriate. Much to my pleasant surprise, my Honda started right up everything was just peachy and fine. I went on to have a marvelous day at TGPR. I'd like to take this opportunity to say that, IMO, the Ed Bargy class is the best value for your money. Ed for Prez!:D