1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conventional (Old) forks rebuild question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tz90369, May 15, 2007.

1. tz90369

tz90369 Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I am rebuilding an old set of forks - 43mm OWO1 with preload/rebound "adjustability" built into the top cap.
    Question:
    What is the procedure for setting the rebound screw and tightening the locknut when I replace cap.
    Eg., Turn the rebound adjuster all the way in, screw the cap onto the rod until the rebound adjuster tube contacts the rebound adjuster, then tighten the locknut . . .

OR

Turn the rebound adjuster all the way out, screw the cap onto the rod until contact, tighten locknut, etc.

I am assuming that it needs to be turned out before contact so that it can push down on the rebound adjustment rod as it is turn in (after assembly) to alter the rebound?

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Brett

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Usually its somewhere in the middle. I would use a manual if you have one and do what it says. Both my old ZX-6R and my SV1000 have a spec for how much thread is showing when the locknut is tightened.

3. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

As long as the aduster is not set so deep as to bottom out the "piston" when you tighten the cap, it makes no difference, other than to establish that both the individual adusters protrude above the top of the spring pre-load nuts the same amount.
    You can screw them all the way in and then back both off 1.5 turns before installing the caps and probably avoid trapping the adjuster.

4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

typically what I do, before I tear them down is count how many clicks of adjustment they have from the factory.

Then when I'm putting it back together, I'll back the screw all the way out
    go in the number of clicks it had for adjustment
    screw the cap down until I feel the needle touch
    back it off about 1/16 of a turn and lock it down

5. tz90369

tz90369 Well-Known Member

Thanks

Everything is back together - as I started assembling them it all came back to me . . . thanks for the help!