1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Help..Redirect problem

Discussion in 'General' started by MV, Oct 13, 2008.

1. MV

MV Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I attempted to use my Paypal account to donate some money to Aaron. Apparently I have a “redirect” in my computer that takes me to a web page that asks me for all my personal info…like , Mothers maiden name…SS#…Bank account info, including pin numbers. This redirect is also there when I try and log on to my eBay account as well. I had a friend logon to my accounts on his computer….no redirect.

I’ve tried 15 different spyware cleaner programs trying to remove this, but no luck.

Hoping someone on here has dealt with such a problem before. My Ebay & Paypal have not been compromised. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Download another browser and go from there. See if the problem persists on a new browser.

If it doesn't presumably, the IE browser is hi-jacked.

Suggest Firefox.

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

3. MV

MV Well-Known Member

Thanks very much....that worked!!:up:

4. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

YVW.

I strongly suggest you change your passwords.

IMO, everyone should rotate/change passwords frequently for any kind of personal, financial or email type sites.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Commonly referred to as a "Browser Hijack".

6. bkkruser

bkkruser Well-Known Member

had a simliar problem,downloaded as you did and no virus detector spyware would remove it. i then took my unjacked browser and downloaded lavasoft,and spybot through the unjacked browser. ran the scans,had to shut down after the scans, spybot came back in soft mode and recompleted the scan.problem solved. hope this works for you. i spent about 4hrs on this sunday.i wish i was techical enough to figure out who these assholes are.i would enjoy sharing a cocktail with them.[they kind with the rag out the end of the bottle)

7. McBiker

McBiker Well-Known Member

AVG works fine too.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Format your machine.

No, seriously. Format it. There is no way to verify that machine is clean. You can run all the viri scanners, anti-spyware, etc, and still have crap on there. Once a PC gets rooted, it's too easy to pile crap in there that scanners can't find. Anyone who claims they can clean a machine with downloadable tools is fooling themselves.

9. caferace

caferace No.

:stupid: x 10e6

-jim

10. cker

cker Well-Known Member

11. Peter.BoyWonder

Peter.BoyWonder I can't afford this shit.

12. jLUND

jLUND Well-Known Member

Mozilla Firefox is awesome. I downloaded a long time ago and have used ever since. It eliminated every problem I every had with system shut downs, freezes, and security compromises.

13. jLUND

jLUND Well-Known Member

oh yeah, a good system restore wipes out most virus problems as well.. just a pain in the ass, but much better than a hacked pc.

14. lbdwag

lbdwag Well-Known Member

scorched earth policy is the ONLY policy when it comes to this stuff. Get AVG installed when you rebuild, hopefully you have a firewall on your Internet connection (ex: BEFSR41- wired or WRT54G - wireless) to help protect from worms and the like before your OS is patched...

15. gix

gix jigga who?

then go throw dd-wrt on that router :up:

16. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

:stupid:

I wouldn't even trust a reformat, I'd pull the hard drive out and smash it with a sledgehammer. Or burn the PC and buy a new one.

17. caferace

caferace No.

You forgot the part about loading files from a compromised backup. :beer:

-jim