1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch dragging

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SVandST, Sep 26, 2008.

1. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

The clutch on my on my R6 is dragging and engaging abruptly, if that makes sense. The clutch drags when the bike is in gear with the clutch lever pulled in (if the bike is on a rear stand the wheel spins and if it's not on a stand it wants to move forward). When I slowly let out the clutch lever to engage the clutch fully, it abruptly engages fully making it real hard to get a good start.

I thought the plates might be warped so I replaced the friction plates and the steel plates. It didn't solve the problem and the plates I took out look fine. When doing the work I noticed that the clutch basket and the inner piece (don't know what it's called - the splined piece the steel plates engage) have noticable and significant grooves where the plates engage. I think this is causing the problem and those parts need to be replaced. Does this sound like the root cause?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

could be the "fingers" on the basket are notched. It happens... its typically a "cast" piece and kinda soft.
    Either replace it with a new stocker (the whole unit) or send it off to falicon and have a billet basket installed.
    The nice thing about the billet basket is its way stronger than the stock piece and its better balanced. But there is a price... and it think they are $380 these days.

3. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Replace the basket and hub, and stop doing "power shifts" (if was you that did them).
    Stock bits work great for non-stunting humans..

4. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

:p Stunting? Man, the closest I've ever come to stunting is the occassional accidental wheelie at the start of a race. I couldn't stunt if my life depended on it.