1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning Out a Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jeremy dunn, Nov 12, 2011.

1. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I have a friend who bought a bike that has been sitting for 10 years with fuel in the tank. Whats the best way if any to clean out the tank?

I know most will say buy a new tank but it might be a little tough with this one. My friend went to a guys house to look at some wave runners he had for sale & while he was there the gentleman(55-60 years old) asked him if he knew anything about bikes. My friend says yeah a little so the guy says come take a look at this bike & see if you'd be interested in buying it too. My friend is thinking its going to be a cruiser or something walks in the garage & the guy uncovers the bike & it's a completely mint 02 GSXR 600 Telefonica edition with 237 miles on it. He said his son bought it new & rode it & it scared him so dad took over payments, rode it a couple time & lost interest & parked it hoping the son would want to ride it again.

He knows he's going to have to buy a new fuel pump but we figure a tank is going to be hard to find.

TIA

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive had luck with CLR. Also had good results with the POR 15 tank kit.

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

creem works pretty good too.

4. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

the Caswell stuff is the best.

5. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Nothing beats the stuff Yamaha sells for varnish removal.
    Best price on rust removal is rust-ease from harbor freight.
    Caswell sealer is pretty top notch as a liner, forget all about creme - it flakes off and makes a real nightmare.
    FWIW, if the tank is a varnish hell-job then the rest of the fueling system is just as bad.

6. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

Muriatic Acid. Available at your local Home Depot or Lowes. Poor a gallon in the tank, swish it around for a bit, and you should notice almost instant results. If not, you're going to have to coat it.

Assuming the muriatic acid works, make sure you neutralize it with baking soda within minutes or flash rust will begin to occur. After neutralizing it, spray fogging oil all over the inside of the tank and fill to the top with gas immediately. You should then be good...

7. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Yamaha stuff. Comes with the cleaner and the neutralizer. The shit. It is easy, if it doesn't work look for a new tank. While POR15 or whatever else coating is the flavor of the month, be careful. Poor prep or improper cleaning nomrally junks the tank and everything else, just after you thought it was ok.

8. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Sadly, the last time I bought some of the Yamaha stuff, my dealer informed me it was discontinued. I got what was left on his shelf and that was it.

9. Tunersricebowl

Better check another dealer then, I just bought some.
    The problem seems to be that you have to order a case of it because the dealers don't want to buy the whole case just to sell two or three liters.
    If you want a great price on a case, check with Brad at MRCYCLES.

10. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Huh, I stood there and watched while he typed the P/N into the computer. That was a couple of years ago though.

Are you sure you're not confusing the carb cleaner (great stuff as well) with the rusty tank cleaner?

11. Tunersricebowl

Yeah, carb cleaner, not rust remover.
    I use "Rust-Ease" for rust, and the carb cleaner for rotted fuel/varnish.
    If you have not tried rustease, do yourself a favor and get some.
    It's harmless to paint and plastic, washes off with water and works great.

12. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

13. Tunersricebowl

Ha! Yes, but we nicknamed it after the movie, I always say rust ease now, brain fart!

14. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Makes sense, think that's what I'll call it from now on. :)

15. Tunersricebowl

Whatever it's called, it works great..

16. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

Off-topic, but what did the ol' man charge him for the bike?

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Toilet bowl cleaner! It works great, just google it. It's pretty much the same as the muriatic acid mentioned above.

18. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

I have heard of people putting pennies and screws in the tank and filling it with gas, swirl it around for a little and flush it out with gas again. Then use some sort of rust remover.

19. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

THIS...nuts and blots in a tank with Kerosene will beat that stuff out.

DON'T use Creme kits, they're a mess and can, more often than not, come undone.

20. duc995

duc995 Yep…

www.POR15.com

The motorcycle tank refurbishing kit is awesome!