1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning concrete

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitz, May 27, 2017.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

So had paver steps put in by a company, steps after a year were really chalky looking. Thought a year passing would clear it up but nope. This was my wife's baby so she took the reigns and got a hold of the guy that did it and he came out and I guessed used an acid wash to get rid of the efflorescence which did work, however now the grey concrete patio it lies on it all stained from the dye or whatever they use to color the pavers. Sooooo, not really looking into dealing with these people again and now its MY baby.

What can I use to clean this shit off, if anything? Another acid wash for the concrete? Grind it?

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

It's concrete, not cheerleaders. :rolleyes:

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Quiet. I'm on a roll. That's 3 now.

Oh and, pressure wash, grab golf clubs and beer, and go have fun.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Three strikes. You're out. Now STFU.

6. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Did you try simple green and a pressure washer? Might be too late for it but you get to play with a pressure washer.

No matter how much you want to, don't point the pressure washer at your foot and pull the trigger.

Bobby_Evans likes this.
  8. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

Muratic acid mixed 4:1 with water will do a nice acid wash. Just don't let it sit too long or it will pit the concrete. EDIT: 4 parts water to 1 part acid.

9. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

Turbo nozzle on pressure washer

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Jack hammer it out and double the length and width leading to your new 40 x 100 pole barn. Its really the only way to do it properly.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I tried nothing as of yet, don't want to fuck it up anymore than it is. I really doubt simple green is going to touch this stuff. I'll try a diluted muratic on it and see what happens after a pressure washer. Doesn't have to be perfect but it looks like someone puked up chocolate milk on my 1 year old patio. Even if its 50% better i'll leave it at that. Comes down to the same old goddamn saying "do shit yourself if you want it done right"/...

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

13. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I used a local company to clean some portions of one of our production buildings last year, concrete, brick, asphalt and steel. They used dry ice blasting. Similar to bead/sand blasting, but a lot cleaner. Perhaps this might be an option for you?

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  14. As said above with muratic acid and pressure washer. A 25 or 40 degree nozzle and you will get the feel of it as you get closer to the concrete.

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Wife labor.

16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I wouldnt do Acid wash unless you really know what your doing. That could really go arai. I would have pressure washed first then try wire brush if that doesnt work. Acid wash would be last resort. I would like to see pics also to really understand the issue.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

This. Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid will burn your concrete. Go to a masonry/concrete supply store and use what they recommend. The pressure sprayer will open up the surface, should seal it after. Or do like Gapman said....stain.

18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I would get a SDS sheet from the stain manufacturer and see what they use for cleanup.

Baking soda/water mix may do the trick. Or a heavy degreaser and put it on with a pump sprayer. TSP mixed with water may work also. Really depends on the stain makeup.

Pressure wash it with a rotator nozzle afterward, those do wonders.

We clean up spills for a living so we get into different things all the time.

If you have nice squares on the patio you can grind the top layer of concrete off with a rental. It will be bone white and smooth when done but does take a while to make sure you aren't leaving lines.

Also could call a mobile shot blaster. Those guys work cheap. Have them blast it with walnut shells or something bio degradable.

I have used dry ice on some jobs, it is nice in factories for oily hoods where you don't want water cleanup issues. It also is pretty pricey so doubt you want to dump that kinda coin.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

When I clean my precast concrete stairs I use vinegar first. Not bad for cleaning the dirt scum off a deck, either.
    Stubborn stains I put some bleach directly on, though that won't help if the concrete has been colored, you'll just make a bigger mess.
    Personally, I'd have the original installer come back and make it right and stand there while he does it.