1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cigarette prices goin up AGAIN

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by stalemate27, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Honestly, no, but when I was a kid, I couldn't picture a world where HBO wasn't free either....

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

3. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

:stupid:
    And don't forget Joe, that the city you and I enjoy living in grew to what it is today in large part because of tobacco. Personally, I'm kind of sad to see that part of Winston-Salem's history being phased out. I'm not particularly pro-smoking, but I don't think it's right to discount smokers while you are, in a sense, still reaping the benfits from what RJ Reynolds did for this place.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There's a reason Wake Forest isn't in Wake Forest anymore.

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Part of why W-S hasn't changed with the times is because they remain chained to the past. The tide turned on cigarettes a long time ago and RJR turned their back on "bucolic" W-S in 80's. And F. Ross Johnson's made sure any sentimental relationship was completely severed when he moved Reynolds headquarters to Atlanta. The history is cool but it's the past. When the state of NC is contemplating a public smoking ban the party is over. The state program which gave farmers incentives to get out of tobacco farming gave everyone an easy out. The RJR building will be vacant in 2 years. American Tobacco (RJR, Williams, Lorilard) is international not regional. They still turn a profit and always will but the economic impact doesn't trickle down to local farmers the way it used to. There is no reason to equate the present day tobacco industry with the monuments of the past.

If the choice is to go after smokers instead of, say, second home tax breaks what would you choose? Someone is making those decisions. The gubment is coming for your money anyway you look at it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wondered how long it would take before this thread migrated over here.

7. frackadelic

I sure as hell wasn't going to post again :D

8. frackadelic

Well that's typically what history is. I agree with you that it's been a gradual trend, and I didn't mean to imply that it was happening all at once or just because of the hike in taxes. The whole Johnson era could be a thread of its own! I can just see where Dan is coming from. If I was a smoker (not just the smoking while drinking on the weekends kind), I'd be upset. It's hard to be judgemental about it when smokers could just as easily and justifiably be for increasing our mc insurance if we were too stupid to sell them. And you're right, they're going to get our money somehow, but we might as well have something to talk about in the meantime. :D

9. MarkP

MarkP New Member

haha thats a good question. why didn't i think of that when i smoked. i guess they were cheaper then