1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing the right 2 piece suit.

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by tearlessj, Apr 2, 2011.

1. tearlessj

tearlessj Well-Known Member

I know this isn't a strictly racing question, but I feel that Wera is the most knowledgeable 2 wheels community.

I just started riding a few months ago and have slowly been progressing. It's time for me to buy a suit so I can get on the track, and I would prefer to get a 2 piece suit.

The 3 suits that I am look at are:

-Teknic Chicane http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4936, I looked over them because i havn't heard too many things about them, but some retailers have them on close out for $299 shipped. This seems like the best deal for a leather suit.

-Avg sport Palomar http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/42/29847/ITEM/AGV-Sport-Palomar-Two-Piece-Leather-Suit.aspx I've read many good things about AVG suits holding up well in event of a crash. A little pricey at $599 shipped.

-A* Sp-1 http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-sp-1-two-piece-suit A friend recommended me to get a A* suit. It is only $50 more than the Avg sport suit. Cheapest I can find is $650.

I'm on a under $700 budget. Out of the three which one would you pick? If anyone has any other recommendations please feel free to post up.

Thanks!

2. canezach

canezach Well-Known Member

Teknic makes some quality gear, but I've never worn the Chicane. I've crash-tested a Violator suit and it held up really well. If the Chicane is anything like the Violator, you won't be disappointed. I've also crashed in an AGV suit and it held up nicely as well. A* makes great gear too. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices.

3. tearlessj

With the Teknic being $299 shipped right now, it makes it extremely tempting. I just don't want to regret my decision.

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

my brother crash tested the chicane at over 100mph.....held up way better than i expected.
    only thing he always complain about that suit was that it runs a bit hot.

5. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

I didn't bother to check, but make sure the ones you're considering have a full circumference zipper, not just a short one that only goes across the back. If you'll be primarily riding in hot weather, or on the track, you'll want to consider a perforated suit. I've heard good things about Teknic and A-Stars for sure. Haven't heard much about agv.

6. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Ditto on the zipper wrapping completely around your waist. I'd get the Teknic @ $299.
    Leaves ya mo $$'s for tires.

7. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

check with TJ, he may have an order coming in...

Rich

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I would pass on the 2 piece and get a 1 piece:up:

9. MYZ1K

MYZ1K Well-Known Member

+1

10. tearlessj

I would a get a 1 piece, but this will also double as my street gear.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Does WERA allow 2 piece suits on the track?

12. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

the best two piece is a one piece.

really doubt that teknic has a 360 zipper

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

The zipper in my A* two piece (with a 360 zipper ) failed. In the toyhauler, while putting them on. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Spyderchick has since replaced tinkertoy plastic zipper with real zipper.

14. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

From the Rule Book, acccessible on-line

Chapter 7, Rider and Crew Requirements
    10. Riders clothing and protective requirements:
    c) Clothing must be leather or Kevlar. All suits must be a one-piece garment for racing. Separate jackets and trousers are acceptable only if they zip or snap together to make one piece of clothing, pending approval of the Technical Inspector.

15. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Skip the cheap chicane suit. I have one, while it is decent, the stretch panels are fabric not leather and I tore a small hole in mine during a wreck. The leather parts held up pretty well, and the stitching held up great. I hit the deck at around 100mph, and slid mostly on the track for a while.

And I agree on the one piece suit. It will be my next gear purchase.

16. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

I Had/have a Sidi two piece,360 zipper and held great on a tumble crash at fontana. There was no quality difference between mine and my friends one piece that was the exact same model.