1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheep heat shield

Discussion in 'Tech' started by atomic410, Mar 21, 2011.

1. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

anyone know of a cheep heat shield? I would just make one but my bike is on display at one of my sponsors so if i can just buy a pair for somewhat cheep I'd prefer that over trying to quickly fab one between when i pick the bike up and it hitting the track. I just need something to make space between the exhaust and the belly pan. Wraps don't work, I tried that last season as well as a backing. and the belly pan has to be able to secure it's self against the sheild to keep from flopping. thanks

2. Buchern

Buchern Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  3. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Rider's Discount sells an excellent thermal heat shield with adhesive backing - cut to shape and install it right onto the inside of your bodywork where the exhaust pipe is close to it.

4. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

what about header wrap on that section?

5. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

tried that but the bellypan will rub through it every other weekend. the alm heat tape still let enough heat into the bellypan to darken it and make it brittle. maybe i'll try it again and just 2x it up. I really need a shield to push the bodywork off of the pipe it would be the best solution. thanks

6. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

howbout doing both, the foil tape in that location will smooth out the surface so it doesnt abrade the wrap and the wrap will insulate the bodywork

or, maybe 2 hose clamps with the clamp sides facing the bodywork to push it away and maintain an airgap though this might wear a hold in the bodywork eventually

7. zwalker16

zwalker16 Zack Walker

summit racing, THERMO SHIELD "cool it" is like 30 bucks for 24x36. Get the supersonic suppressor it has the adhesive side to it. i put it on my lower so the exhaust would not bubble my paint and it works great.

8. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

p

Pepboys

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I bought some at a hotrod auto speed shop. Regular AutoZone, Kragen type places didn't have any when I looked. I can get you a name and part number later if you need it.

10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I don't know if it's "cheap" but Helix makes some decent stuff that sticks pretty good around compound curves.
    [​IMG]