1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charleston guys, got a boat a can rent for a day or two?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, May 28, 2016.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm headed to Folly this summer and am looking for a boat to rent. My friend who runs the City Marina sold his Hewes after his son was born in October and hasn't replaced it with a bigger boat yet. Normally he'd just toss me the keys.

I know it's a long shot but if you're in the area and are trusting and want to make a few bucks I'm interested. The house we have rented has a dock. It's one of the ones on the first bit of land closer to the river past Turtle Bay. I'm not sure how bad the current gets there but I imagine its fast.

I'm looking for something in the 21 range preferably a CC. All we're looking to do is fish for reds and putt around with the family. Nothing crazy I promise. I'll even be safe and come back from Bulls Island drunk at night WOT by IOP hugging as close to the island as I can. Serious though I'd probably fish the Stono for half a day with my son and then take the family on a half day trip up the Stono through Sikes Cut and then around the harbor and maybe take them to the beach at Kiawah for a few hours.

The rental companies don't allow their boats out of the harbor area for insurance reasons.

And who is it that has the sailboat on the Folly River. If your schedule permits and you're interested I'd love to do a sailing charter as well. I haven't had the kids sailing yet. Not sure how much a PITA it is to get from Folly to open water though. I wouldn't be comfortable going out the Stono on a sailboat. Had an owner of a Tayana 37 we prepped go aground there when leaving for an extended trip. They ended up pulling the boat out of the water to inspect it. Then they decided to leave through the harbor.

I know it's a long shot but PM me if you're interested.

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Bumpity bump bump....

Surely some trusting fool would be interested??? Chip, help a 9.5 finger brother out?

3. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Good luck. As someone who has multiple boats, I'd never take on the liability of what you're asking. There's a reason the rental companies don't let people go certain places... it's too great of a risk.

4. Chip

Chip Registered

Dude.....no idea about rental boats, but I can ask around.

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Ive got some leads on boats. No need to ask around. I was just hoping there was a someone on the board who lived on JI or thereabouts.

Maybe I can convince Scout to let me do a multi day trial of one of their 28 footers.

6. Chip

Chip Registered

Cool. I wish I had a boat for you to barrow, but if I did, it would probably be crashed right now...

Stumpy likes this.
  7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I had an 18' Sea Hunt when we lived there. I kept it when we moved here thinking what could go wrong? Some methheads broke into the locked storage and yanked off the 90hp Johnson. Once I got the insurance replacement I sold it. The kids were young and now I wish I still had it.

What's the old saying? The happiest days of a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it?

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

My buddy has had his boat a couple years now and still forgets the drain plug once in a while. No wonder rentals are a bizillion dollars a day where you can find them.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I did that once with a sea doo at my FIL's lake house. Once is enough.