1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed my clutch lever and put on a new back tire.. Power loss? Help.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dr.Duct_Mossbur, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

Dr.Duct_Mossbur Well-Known Member

I went from a 180/50 to a 190/55.. Both power race

I changed to an MSR short clutch lever assembly..

Problem.. Feels like I dont have all the power.. When im out 60 in 2nd.. I can normally blip the throttle, and roll back on and the bike comes right up.. Im now at 70, blip the throttle.. Mash it back down and pull it up and im still having troubles getting it up.. When I do.. Its like someone is slowly hitting the brake. and is ALOT harder to keep up..

I took it to the drag strip and could only get about 135-138 trap speeds out of it..

Someone told me that taking out the little sensor that controls the clutch engage for start up, takes away like 20% of the power because it always thinks the clutch is in? Well I put the stock assembly back on and I still feel its around the same.. Maybe a tad better.

My next thought is that maybe when the tire was put back on that the rotor got bent a smug or that maybe its in just a tad lop sided? I dont really smell a pad burning, or notice im riding.

Im going to pull the wheel back off tomorrow and put it back on myself and see how it goes. (p.s. the notches on both sides match).

Anyone have any input?

TIA

2. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

Just a hunch here but I would say that the rear tire has messed with the overall gearing of the bike

3. powerban

powerban Well-Known Member

A tire that much bigger and heavier will definitely make the bike feel like its lost some power. That tire size is only beneficial on a road course to quicken turn in and maximize grip at full lean. It is not a good size for drag racing. That size also makes the bike feel like you went down a tooth on the rear sprocket.

4. IridiumRed

IridiumRed Member

What bike you on?

With GSXR1000's, the switch that is activated by the clutch is really important to the bike. The bike wont start unless the lever is "pulled in". But it also retards the timing.

If the bike thinks the clutch is pulled in, the timing is retarded a fair amount which really does hurt power / throttle response....

If you put the switch back in, but its not fully engaging, the bike may still think the lever is pulled in..... keeping the timing retarded.

Dunno what bike you're on, just a possibility.

But, what was said before about the change in tire size, thats true as well. taller tire = higher gearing..... not to mention more weight to spin