1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CayloR-Made Motorsports – The Compound Race Report – Barber WERA National

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by dave_gsxr750, Sep 14, 2011.

1. dave_gsxr750

dave_gsxr750 Well-Known Member

CayloR-Made Motorsports – The Compound Race Report – Barber Motorsports Park WERA National

For the second time in 2011, the CayloR-Made Motorsports Crew descended upon Barber Motorsports Park this past weekend. WERA held this National Endurance Series and National Challenge Series event on the 10th Anniversary of one of America’s most tragic days. A short ceremony was held on Sunday, just before racing got underway, to pay tribute to the victims of 9/11.

The first race of the weekend actually happened on Saturday, with the WERA National Endurance Series four hour race. CayloR-Made Motorsports sponsored CCF Office Solutions Racing, ridden by John Risconsin, Fred Turner, Dave Krier, Derek Mugge and Kevin Mills, charged up through the field. At races end, the team placed 10th overall and took the Trophy Class win on their GSXR600.

CayloR-Made’s first shot across the bow on Sunday came in race two, Open Superstock Expert. Opie Caylor launched hard from the third row to move all the way into second place in turn one. Opie stalked the race leader throughout the first couple of corners and took the lead at the end of the back straight on lap one. Once into the lead, Opie settled into a comfortable pace and started building a small gap. Opie, with clean air out front, turned laps as quickly as 1:28.3 and went on to win the race with a stand-up wheelie the entire length of the front straight. After the race Opie said, "I wish I could always get those kind of starts! I got off the line well, and got into turn one right behind the leader. I knew that I had to get going quickly with the races being cut to only six laps. I went by the leader at the end of the back straight and just tried to get into a rhythm. Thermosman has my GSXR1000 working so well for me. I went with Dunlop’s 7614 Soft rear tire and I think that is what helped me get to the front so fast! I did a couple of low 28's in the beginning and was able to pull away for the win."

CayloR-Made’s Dave Krier came out swinging this weekend and did the double! In Senior Superbike Novice, Dave hole-shotted the entire field on his ex-Vincent Haskovec M4 GSXR750 and simply dominated everyone. In fact, the race was red-flagged on lap five of six and Krier already had an entire front straightaway lead over second place. In E Superstock Novice, Krier came from deep within the grid and battled his way to his second win of the day on his CayloR-Made Motorsports Ninja 250 while lapping the field in the six lap sprint race.

Derek Mugge showed up big this weekend and rode his Dunlop shod Suzuki GSXR1000 to 3rd in Senior Superbike Novice making it two CayloR-Made sponsored riders in the top three! Mugge put it on the box again by taking 2nd in the Clubman Novice race aboard his Aprilia 550.

John Risconsin, another member of the CayloR-Made Compound, was on the gas and finished on the podium in each of the hotly contested 600cc Novice races. He took third in C Superbike Novice and came away with second in C Superstock Novice.

BMW mounted rider Nikk Rogers is getting faster every time out and finished 2nd in Open Superstock Novice. In Formula One Novice, an inter-compound battle ensued with Matt Dalke finishing half-a-bike length in front of Nikk.

The weekend ended prematurely though with a short but violent thunderstorm which led to the cancellation of the day’s final two races. Opie concluded with, "It's a bummer we didn't get the featured WERA Superbike race in today. I was really looking forward to a good battle but I guess it just wasn't meant to be today! Hopefully, we can get that race in maybe at the GNF or something."

Thanks to everyone who came out to support the Compound this weekend, including Dani Mugge and family, Rocket, Eric Douglas, Robert Bradley, Georgia Gayle Turner, Wayne and Debbie Degourney, and all the friends and family who kept the Compound clicking!

Come see CayloR-Made Motorsports in action during the 2011 WERA Grand National Finals October 26 - 30 at Road Atlanta, in Braselton, Georgia.