1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cars, but must have been a heckuva race

Discussion in 'General' started by CorollaDude, Nov 27, 2011.

1. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Was reading Jim Rathmann's obit after his death last week and reading about his 1960 Indy 500 win, I could only imagine what that race with Roger Ward must have been like. No computers, no electronic communication... wheel to wheel, man that was racing. I Know, I know, not bikes, but still, what a classic race.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/1960-indianapolis-500-winner-Jim-Rathmann-dies-112311

From the story: "Over the final 250 miles, he and defending champion Rodger Ward engaged in a test of wills. They traded the lead 14 times in two hours, rarely running more than a few feet apart while fighting worn tires and guessing at fuel mileage relayed to them only by pit board."

Chills, just chills at such racing history.

RIP, Mr. Rathmann :up:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

RIP Rathmann.

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

4. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I listened to the race on the radio as a little boy. You know, Freddy Agabashian and all those guys, switching commentators at every corner as they followed the leaders around, doesn't sound like much but they made it very exciting! Forget what they called the show, "500 Auto Racing Network" or something, they broadcast the 500 every year, did a great job. Anyway, they kept calling him "the Bridesmaid and now the bride" because he had finished second so many times, I just couldn't understand it, as a little kid, LOL. Back in the day that was THE race, only one like it in the world, biggest race there was. Rathmann winning it was a big deal, and beating Ward to do it was a big deal too. Remember the pics in Hot Rod Magazine of the tires down to the cord. Cut it pretty close.