1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Candidate For Dumbest Vehicle Recall Repair Ever

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Apr 10, 2024.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Ford recalls nearly 43,000 SUVs due to gas leaks that can cause fires, but remedy won’t fix leaks

https://apnews.com/article/ford-rec...re-fuel-leak-a002bb4d939d59cab10136abbc471fbd

Ford says in documents filed with U.S. safety regulators that fuel injectors can crack, and gasoline or vapor can accumulate near ignition sources, possibly touching off fires.

Dealers will install a tube to let gasoline flow away from hot surfaces to the ground below the vehicle. They’ll also update engine control software to detect a pressure drop in the fuel injection system. If that happens, the software will disable the high pressure fuel pump, reduce engine power and cut temperatures in the engine compartment, according to documents posted Wednesday on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.

But replace the faulty fuel injectors?
    Naaah.
    Instead, we'll make your engine run shitty and leak gas onto your driveway.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for the two punctuation errors in the quoted text.

cav115 likes this.
  2. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Well that is about a bag full of stupid right there!:(

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Somebody needs to call EPA (or whoever is in charge) and report ford for polluting. :)
    Isn't this suppose to go in to charcoal canister, not on the ground?

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If the big 3 would just make a damn vehicle and keep the same one for a few decades with minor improvements each year the world would be so much simpler

EPA causes those guys to throw the towel in on perfectly good models that they could've made even better

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Not a recall but something really stupid that’s always agitated me… you ever seen the door panels in a Pacer? They have a raised part to block the window so it wasn’t bigger than the allowed size… and fuck Ralph Nader too the Corvairs rocked and I hate Chevies… :D

CRA_Fizzer and cav115 like this.
  6. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Built Ford rough

BigBird likes this.
  7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Ford has a history of vehicles spontaneously combusting.

8. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

That has to be a April Fools joke?!?!?!

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

nope, it's real.. the pdf is from NHTSA...

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Surprised? Nah...it's a Ford.

11. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Fuel On Road Definitely.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Also, weird coincidence....OJ Dies and Broncos can catch on fire

13. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

I've never been real big on dealerships touching my vehicles, so I'm not a big player in the recall game either. That might seem foolish, but the last time I let a dealer do a recall action was on my truck in 2014 to replace the TPMS. They scratched up all four of the aluminum wheels and got the two steel ones for good measure. I read all the recall notices I receive and take care of the issues myself or go to a respected independent shop to perform the action.

RichB and BigBird like this.
  14. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Alas, not when you need them to.

Once a Wanker.. and BigBird like this.
  15. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Same. Brought a VW in for a software update. Thought I'd have them rotate the tires for the hell of it. Car came back with a ding on the hood from an air chuck. Months later, when it was time to rotate them again, all 4 locking lug bolts were hand tight and the rest were apparently installed with a 3/4" gun set to 11.

My current VW has a recall for a leak at the thermostat which is integrated with the waterpump. It's a fairly elaborate task with a lot of plastic shit for someone trying to beat book rate to break so there's a new pump sitting in the garage awaiting my enthusiasm.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Why do they create the pump out of plastic is beyond me, as that is a VW fatal flaw. The hardest part, at least in an MQB is just getting the room to do it as you have to take out a bunch of stuff as their is no space and everything stacked on top one another. But I was going to do the install myself as well, and even bought the blaster to do a carbon cleaning while I was in there. Then as usual, I just traded it in :)

Mike Fennell likes this.
  17. having worked in the automotive fuel tank industry for 25 years I have no idea how Ford got this past NHTSA. I must be missing some piece of this puzzle because this doesn’t sound right in the least. I’d be curious what the failure rate was that prompted the recall. Based on that, time in service and what’s expected to be the failure rate, amount of fuel spillage the EPA may have just docked them those emissions number off of their fleet allowance.

18. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

With so many recalls they throw them bone here and there :)

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

So, if I read this correctly, the vehicle detects this problem and basically goes into limp mode, so most people are not going to be driving it around like that very long. If the failure rate is low, it isn't exactly the Exxon Valdez we are talking about here.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yup, then they charge you for new injectors out of warranty...